What sealant is used here?

Page 2 of 2

Since I was shocked to NOT find any fireblocks between the 10 foot stud heights, the thought that this compound would be to block fire NEVER occurred to me.

Thank you for the URL.
It looks like they have a 'non-messy' system wth solid little plugs.
On 1/13/2012 5:32 PM, Robert Macy wrote:

Over the years I've done some regulatory chemical consulting with them. They have some good products. Nice people to work with. Have no idea about the retail end.
On 1/13/2012 9:44 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

It is very common to use expanding foam to plug those holes. Red putty sounds like fire caulk. You don't need fire grade caulk in a wood stud wall, but fellas probably had some if they did much commercial work. You could use any type of caulk - there is no requirement for anything, it is only performed to help prevent drafts and help the HVAC. If the holes are very large with a large annular space, it may be much easier to stuff them with rock wool.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Agreed, it was common to use expanding foam for this purpose up until the building code changed a couple of years ago, now it is required to use the rated and approved means of fire stopping in all of those situations... Unless your jurisdiction is still using and applying an older version of the code in their area...
~~ Evan