What's wrong with my furnace?

Page 2 of 2

Has it always been like that? It does not sound right that the chimney would be that hot. Perhaps you need a new pro to look at it.

The run time part doesn't really seem like much of a problem..

You'd have to check the temperature rise at the furnace plenum and compare it to the specs. That does sound low though.

Unless it's a 90% or higher efficiency model, the exhaust will usually run way too hot to touch, so I can't really tell if what you're describing is abnormal or not.

Temperature rise check would be the first thing I would do/have done..
--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada