What's with "vessel" sinks?

Cheapest ones I've been able to find start at about $85 and go up to the top, the very top!*
So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a resin bowl for $4, drilled a hole in the bottom, and I was good to go. Flower pots would seemingly also work; they already have a hole in the bottom.
Am I missing something?
---------- * Examples (best be sitting if you look) http://www.flooranddecoroutlets.com/decoratives-sinks.html
Add pictures here
✖

This is just another one of those things they trick people into buying that become dated in a couple years. They will go the way of harvest gold leisure suits
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 11, 10:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Along with overpriced washers and dryers, stainless steel kitchen appliances, microwaves over the stoves, useless kitchen 'islands', double built in ovens (for huge family gatherings once in a decade), ugly granite/stone counter tops, high maintenance decks, and all the other trappings of a credit card debt ridden society that has no way of paying for the new entitlements being rammed down the throats of the gullible public. Adding to the misfortune is the fact that hardly any of the junque on the market now can be handed down to the less fortunate as in the past. So it goes to the leaking landfills and the poor get poorer, still believing that Washington knows what's best for them. Sad...
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Eli: "People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We through away things people kill each other for now."
Add pictures here
✖
Re Re: What's with "vessel" sinks?:

Well put.

✖
HeyBub wrote:

Yes, bragging rights if you happen to be both nouveau riche and gauche.
IOW, more money than brains. IMO, YMMV.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I don't like them.
Add pictures here
✖

I have to admit: I like the way some of them look, sitting there on display at the Borg. Some of the glass ones are really pretty.
But they cost a ton, as you've pointed out, and they're a maintenance nightmare, as others have.
I'll just buy a glass bowl and look at it, or serve chips in it or something. And stick with my one-piece vanity top and sink.
People really are sheep.
Cindy Hamilton
Add pictures here
✖

I think they look dumb, but...

Just the water spots and cleaning around them has to be the pits.

Ours are undermount on granite. I like 'em. Nice, clean lines, and easy to clean. ;-)

Yup. Anything to look different, except that everyone is different the same way. ;-)
Add pictures here
✖