What's with GE?

I thought the Frigidare Maytag was a done deal guess not

The Associated Press Jul 15 2005

China's global reach has already reshaped the home appliances and electronics sectors. This year, Lenovo Group Ltd. closed its $1.75 billion deal to acquire International Business Machines' personal-computer business. The Chinese television manufacturer TCL Corp. purchased the French company Thomson, claiming the rights to the RCA logo. A consortium led by the Chinese home appliance giant Haier Group is pressing to buy Maytag Corp. Whats Chinese for The Six Flags calculator Walmart approved

Reply to
Spud

"Pagan"

bought it.

I still have my very first Panasonic microwave, made circa 1977. It was delivered by truck to a depot, no other shipper would handle it. It's a consurem model. That does not mean another one made by Panasonic will last 6 months.

Same for other stuff. I'm afraid to toss anything that's fixable. Chances are, your old applience will outlast the new one after fixing.

The story is pretty much the same on all brands of all appliences. From A/C to sewing machines. Many once good brands have gone to the dogs by design and now they will be made in China to boot.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

"Duane Bozarth" wrote

absolecence?

components

And if the failure does occur within warranty period, the cost of transport and labor will exceed the cost of underdesigned part, by far. Most warranties are now for shorter pariods, excluding transport. And it's no longer parts & labor for 1 year. More likely parts 1 year, labor 3-6 months.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

But it's break even at best, methinks as the new ones will just barely last long enough for the breakeven period to happen. I've not measured relative power consumption, but w/ the newer ones w/ auto-defrost, etc., I'd be surprised if I could find as much as $10/mo observable difference.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Frigidaire, and

Not so--have you ever heard of six sigma? Applied at GE across the board and taught by GE to many of it's vendors. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Obviously, you are not familiar with six sigma and what it entails---no more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. For your enlightenment:

"Six Sigma at many organizations simply means a measure of quality that strives for near perfection. Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving towards six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process -- from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service.

The statistical representation of Six Sigma describes quantitatively how a process is performing. To achieve Six Sigma, a process must not produce more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. A Six Sigma defect is defined as anything outside of customer specifications. A Six Sigma opportunity is then the total quantity of chances for a defect. Process sigma can easily be calculated using a Six Sigma calculator." MLD

Reply to
MLD

So what? If the specifications call for a poor material, you are assured of getting that poor material all the time. Big deal, There are many forms of "quality" programs and process controls that conform with Six Sigma , ISO9000 etc. that really mean very little to the end user.

All these things do is assure that if we decide to make crap, it will consistent crap that meets the specifications for that particular form of crap. Yes, the specifications call for bolts made of press shredded newspaper and that is what is used. Not steel like the rest of the world. But since we comply to the written standard we are good.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Obviously you are so taken in with the fancy wording that you don't know what it means in every day use. Yes, it strives for "perfection" but what does that translate to? Perfection may mean we have that bearing that is designed to wear out in 1000 hours wear out consistently in 1000 hours instead of using the good bearings that may last 500,000 hours but cost 5¢ more.

Six Sigma means we use that specified painted steel instead of stainless steel or porcelain coated steel even though we know it will rust through in four years, but it is perfectly coated when installed.

Six Sigma means that if we design crap, it will be perfect crap. It has little to do with longevity, ease of use, lower sound, energy efficiency, ergonomic design, pleasing esthetics, or any of the other factors that differentiate a quality appliance from a cheapo. Cheapos just don't last as long by design even if built under six sigma conntrols.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Them thing seem to just last forever. The sad part is, you can buy a new one with all the new features with just the savings in electricity. Here in CT, they will pay you $50 to haul off that old one to boot.

I had an old 7 cut ft in the basement. Replaced it with an 18 cu ft frost free and my electric bill went down $10 month.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Perhaps not, but that wasn't the point. The fact is, even with a hard life, my older appliance outlasted a GE product, which had a much easier (and shorter) life.

If I have to fix something more than once the same year I buy it, I consider it trash.

True, and some are worse than others.

Pagan

Reply to
Pagan

I'll just keep the one I got, thanks...when (and if) it dies, then I'll replace it. Until then, w/ the power load here, I'm convinced the difference is noise...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Jennair Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

Reply to
Curly Sue

Since this is a second fridge, it was a basic frost free and cost $400. I've had it more than 4 years so I'm reaping benefits. You'll be rather surprised at the difference in power consumption in just the past 10 years let alone 60 years. Don't take my word for it. Call your power company and get the facts. Look at the amp rating on the nameplate for starters.

Payback will be longer when you add fancy features, but they you are getting the benefit of those features too. I like them, you may not.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

(snip)

Well, sometimes you get lucky. I have an el cheapo (at the time, expensive by modern standards) Samsung microwave that I bought 23 (or was it 24?) years ago, still working fine. 2nd appliance (after a TV) I bought after I moved up here after college. Gone through 2 or 3 TVs, half a dozen computers, five or six cars, but the Damn Microwave Just Won't Die.....

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

I just heard this morning that Whirlpool made an even higher bid for Maytag.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

GE dos not back up their products.

We purchased a GE refrigerator and the compressor went out after 6 months, GE replaced it and 6 months later the compressor failed again. The rep said the evaporation coils may also have been contaminated because of the compressor failure. We called customer service in Colorado and they told us they would replace the refrigerator but deduct 250.00 for depreciation.(the refrigerator cost $1000.00 new and they said it should last for 5 years, that's how they derived at $250.00). I argued that refrigerators last for years, but they didn't budge. To add insult to injury they required $75.00 for disposal. This was GEs fault and they should have replaced the unit at no cost. Even the technician that was there said, "that's not right." We wound up paying 325.00 total.

Reply to
Ron

LOL... I had the same experience with one of those huge Litton microwaves [they called ovens back then]. I bought it in 1977, and it died in 2001.

Had even better luck with my Kenmore washer and dryer. Bought them in 1974, and when Sears carried them off in 2003, the dryer was still working. :) Feel an obligation to say, there was one repair call in all that time.

Sure makes you wonder where all these *disposable* appliances now, are going to go in a few more years, doesn't it? I have 3 computers/monitors no one wants. bj

Reply to
chicagofan