What's with GE?

Page 1 of 3
After reading some of the above content regarding GE, I'm reconsidering buying this line. (there was mention of a GE dishwasher having valve problems, and a GE frig recall fiasco........maybe something I missed besides this)
I'm rehabbing the kitchen and was planning to do replace the appliances with the GE Profile line. This makes me wonder...... Any opinions about the Profile, or about GE in general ?? I'm hearing scary things here so far. The amazing thing is Consumer Reports wasn't as harsh.
Thanks. Les

I had a $400 GE microwave that pooped out twice in a year, where the computer fried itself. It also had a broken handle, even though there was no locking latch (you simply pulled the door open...no button to push). I still can't believe this thing died so fast. I've had a Panasonic microwave that traveled with me from Germany, to Oklahoma, to California, and is still chugging along after being given to my mother, 15 years after I bought it. The GE microwave was installed above the stove, while the Panasonic's been shoved back and forth more than Paris Hilton's panties. There's just no excuse for the GE unit giving up the ghost like that.
Other than extremely cheap Christmas lights (on sale December 27), I have bought my last GE product, including all the rebranded stuff.
I've had very good luck with Kenmore, and Sears did a fantastic installation job on my washer, dryer, fridge, dishwasher, and central A/C. The washer and dryer were a real pain, and they came out twice just to get it the way I wanted (issue with the way the doors opened). I did have to do some bitching about the microwave installation, as the guy that came out didn't see the need for a duct going from the microwave to the ceiling (there was already a duct from the ceiling to the roof), but eventually he did it.
I was told their water softeners were junk, but I have no experience with them.

Consumer Reports doesn't test in a real world environment, and they don't test that long. It's much like Popular Science with their long term test cars. Sorry, but 15k miles isn't long term.
Anyway, I'd recommend to anybody to stay away from GE. I'm not so sure about Maytag anymore, and Panasonic doesn't make all the gear a kitchen needs. I do like Bosch. They have some very elegant appliances, and a good reputation. The wife wanted Kenmore, so there ya go, but I haven't had a problem yet.
Pagan

I still have my very first Panasonic microwave, made circa 1977. It was delivered by truck to a depot, no other shipper would handle it. It's a consurem model. That does not mean another one made by Panasonic will last 6 months.
Same for other stuff. I'm afraid to toss anything that's fixable. Chances are, your old applience will outlast the new one after fixing.
The story is pretty much the same on all brands of all appliences. From A/C to sewing machines. Many once good brands have gone to the dogs by design and now they will be made in China to boot.
Rich
Rich wrote:

We still are using the first regrigerator my folks bought when we first got power in 1948. It is, coincidentally, a GE, purchased by Dad as Mom's Christmas in 1948. It has had one door seal and a couple of other minor repairs since and has run continuously since it was first plugged in. Doubt there's much chance of the new one we put in upstairs two years ago will last anything close to 20 years, what more approach 60...
The really disappointing thing wrt to new applicances is that this old gal isn't totally unique. :(

Them thing seem to just last forever. The sad part is, you can buy a new one with all the new features with just the savings in electricity. Here in CT, they will pay you $50 to haul off that old one to boot.
I had an old 7 cut ft in the basement. Replaced it with an 18 cu ft frost free and my electric bill went down $10 month.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

But it's break even at best, methinks as the new ones will just barely last long enough for the breakeven period to happen. I've not measured relative power consumption, but w/ the newer ones w/ auto-defrost, etc., I'd be surprised if I could find as much as $10/mo observable difference.

Since this is a second fridge, it was a basic frost free and cost $400. I've had it more than 4 years so I'm reaping benefits. You'll be rather surprised at the difference in power consumption in just the past 10 years let alone 60 years. Don't take my word for it. Call your power company and get the facts. Look at the amp rating on the nameplate for starters.
Payback will be longer when you add fancy features, but they you are getting the benefit of those features too. I like them, you may not.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I'll just keep the one I got, thanks...when (and if) it dies, then I'll replace it. Until then, w/ the power load here, I'm convinced the difference is noise...

Perhaps not, but that wasn't the point. The fact is, even with a hard life, my older appliance outlasted a GE product, which had a much easier (and shorter) life.

If I have to fix something more than once the same year I buy it, I consider it trash.

True, and some are worse than others.
Pagan

by modern standards) Samsung microwave that I bought 23 (or was it 24?) years ago, still working fine. 2nd appliance (after a TV) I bought after I moved up here after college. Gone through 2 or 3 TVs, half a dozen computers, five or six cars, but the Damn Microwave Just Won't Die.....
aem sends....
ameijers wrote:

LOL... I had the same experience with one of those huge Litton microwaves [they called ovens back then]. I bought it in 1977, and it died in 2001.
Had even better luck with my Kenmore washer and dryer. Bought them in 1974, and when Sears carried them off in 2003, the dryer was still working. :) Feel an obligation to say, there was one repair call in all that time.
Sure makes you wonder where all these *disposable* appliances now, are going to go in a few more years, doesn't it? I have 3 computers/monitors no one wants. bj

this is Turtle.
I work on appliances like these but have slowed down on the number for the last 15 years. I will not get into a pick and flick the brands around but will say this.
window units ; i would Buy Whirlpool , Roper , and Friedrick .
Kitchen Appliances : i would Buy Whirlpool, Roper, Victor, and SubZero.
Everything else is trash !
TURTLE
Run fast!!!! We reoutfitted our kitchen 10 yrs ago with all GE, replacing the Kenmores which were all in the 20 yr old range, except the dishwasher which was 10. The new dishwasher has gone thru two motors, the door rails on the fridge keep falling off and dumping the contents, the range is on its second timer mechanism which was no better than the first and no matter how much I level it the rack brackets are not parallel so there is always a gripe. Not to mention the burners which are all canted. I'm going back to Sears - there, I said it, Sears and I'm not ashamed. Regards, Beetle Bailey

CR often calls mediocre appliances a good value. Never could figure out why. I've not subscribed for years now and they seem very biased in what is and is not important in ratings.
IMO, you get the best appliances with brands like KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Maytag.
You get sometimes good looks, but lesser reliability with GE, Frigidaire, and other low end stuff.
Kenmore is a crap shoot unless you know who the maker is.
As always, there will be an exception where someone has one of the "best" brands and got a lemon, someone else bought a cheapie 30 years ago and it still works fine.
wrote in message

This is Turtle.
G/E , Frigidaire, Maytag, Fedders, Most Kenmore, and all the low end stuff is all one company now days.
Whirlpool, Roper , Friedrick , Subzero, and Victor is about all that is left in the higher end stuff.
TURTLE

Kenmore can be Frigidaire or Whirlpool, maybe others.
Whirlpool, Roper, KitchenAid, Insinkerator. Estate are all one.
Frigidaire makes every low end brand. Hotpoint, Philco, some Kenmore, Gibson, Westinghouse, White, and a few others.
Maytag and Amana are together, but I forget who else may be part of that.
GE, RCA, Thompson Electronics are one.
I think Fedders is still independent and a big competitor of Frigidaire in ACs. Fedders does make some AC under the Maytag and Comfort Air labels.
wrote in message

This is turtle.
frigidaire did bought Maytag , but I'm not sure if they bought Amana also.
TURTLE

OMG, that would be terrible. According to the Maytag web page, they are doing well as an independent company.
http://www.maytag.com/mths/our_company/default.jsp?L1=1&L2=0
They own Amana, Hoover, Admiral, JennAir, Magic Chef.
You may be confused because of Hoover. Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux of Sweden.
wrote in message

This is Turtle.
No , The Owners of these companys are not company that produce something but Holding LLC companys which are nothing but investor company which cut and combine resources to put together a company that just plainly makes money. They have no thought of quality but just selling equipment anyway they can at a good price.
now some big company that produce something does own other companys but leave the name alone and show no ownership in their company write up.
Exxon-Moble owns controlling interest in Ramada Inn and International Paper Company. Go to their website and find where Exxon-Moble is spoke about at all and find no words of them. Exxon-Moble has Holding companys that buy companys to hold as having ownership without the public knowing about it.
maytag has been up for sale for about 2 years and the holding company of Frigidaire are after Maytag. I would have frigidaire should have gotten them by now by way of the Holding companys.
TURTLE
TURTLE wrote:

The Associated Press Jul 15 2005
China's global reach has already reshaped the home appliances and electronics sectors. This year, Lenovo Group Ltd. closed its $1.75 billion deal to acquire International Business Machines' personal-computer business. The Chinese television manufacturer TCL Corp. purchased the French company Thomson, claiming the rights to the RCA logo. A consortium led by the Chinese home appliance giant Haier Group is pressing to buy Maytag Corp. Whats Chinese for The Six Flags calculator Walmart approved