What's up with M$ ?

Why. If your needs did not change, why should you have to upgrade simply because they made something new? I know M$ is not making any money on me but I don't care. They are not providing anything I want.

Reply to
gfretwell

Business use is where you want a stable platform that does not change that much over time. Retraining your staff and recreating business records for new systems that have marginal improvements in functionality is simply wasting money. That is why the POS business stayed with XP as long as it did. Running a string of cash registers is essentially the same operation as it has been for 100 years. They don't need "pinch" and they really try to avoid "swipe". ;-)

Touch screen support itself has been in the hardware for over 30 years, running on DOS machines.

Reply to
gfretwell

Have you tried Linux?

nb

Reply to
notbob

You should talk about being an asshole ... M$ has said that the existing updates will still be available , and they are thru a 3rd party . But they are making it as difficult as they can to get them ... and I believe it's because they want everybody to move over to their newest revenue generator , W10 . I choose not to update , too many chances for snooping into what's none of their (or your) business with the new OS , not to mention that their new business model is to "rent" applications . The wife has a "new" laptop running W7 , which as far as I can tell is just Vista - the lousiest OS they ever made - with a new wrapper .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Last time I was there , the chinese restaurant I used to deliver for was still using W2K in their POS terminal ... if it works , don't f*ck with it ! And that's why I will stick with XP as long as possible . And when I move , it'll be to one of the Linux-based OS's . M$ is getting pretty good at taking our money for little to no benefit to the end user .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have (Ubuntu) , but the wife "couldn't understand it" and refused to learn . I don't think Facecrook (shudder) cares what OS you're using , nor do the card games/whatever that she plays .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

.....or put it on the internet. ;)

What do you mean, "getting"? They wrote the book, yrs ago. Bill got his $$$$ and split. Now they're going down that Autodesk/Adobe road. No buy, merely lease. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've been using Linux since W98SE. I still have a fairly new XP netbook (eee). Never hurts to have a M$ operating system (OS), around. But, I NEVER take it online! That is, unless I have a "live" Linux flash drive to go online, with.

With a "live" Linux flash drive, I never use XP online. I use Linux. Jes plug the flash drive into a USB port and turn on yer box. With a "live" Linux flash drive plugged into a USB socket, the XP OS will never boot. It's Linux only. And when you turn off yer desk/laptop and unplug yer flash drive, it will be like Linux never existed. No trace will remain on yer XP computer.

NOTE: yer computer must be new enough (about circa 2000) to be able to "cold boot" from a flash drive.

In fact TAILS....

....actually ask you if you want a Windows XP desktop (or used to). If you choose the XP desktop, TAILS boots up with a --for all practical purposes-- XP desktop. Hit the visible IE icon in the XP taskbar and Firefox will fire up. Looks like XP, but it's Linux!

IOW, if you know how to use Linux, you could make a desktop that yer wife would think is Windows. Besides, ppl are NOT born with an innate knowledge of Windows. Like Linux, it must be learned. Tell yer wife to open her mind and try and learn something new, instead of merely advancing her "make yer life a living Hell" skills. ;)

Also, try Mint Linux. It's based on Ubuntu, but is even more Windows user friendly.

nb

Reply to
notbob

If you're in that environment, then you should know that Terry is right and you're wrong. When MSFT discontinues support the policy always has been and still is, that it means they won't be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc. All the existing updates, right up to the last one, are still available and that was all that Terry wants. He also confirmed this because he's now downloading and installing them.

Reply to
trader_4

Every new release of Windoze comes with it's own vulnerabilities. If you are not using some common sense and a 3d party virus product, you are still at risk. Most of the attacks are through the add ons anyway. (Flash, active x and Outleak are the worst)

Reply to
gfretwell

My wife is getting away from PCs completely. She has a W/7 machine by her chair but it is seldom turned on. She uses an Android tablet and a smart phone. That is where this all may be going, hence the W/10 "tablet" release from Microshaft. They have a tall hill to climb to cut into Android's market share. I am still running several DOS apps because windoze has never even come close to matching their features. If you are just dealing with text and numbers, DOS is king. The best MP3 player MPXPLAY runs on DOS too although Atilla has rewritten it so it will run natively on W/XP and, I suppose the follow on OS. If you are just playing MP3s it is fine if you just load DOS. The advantage of my DOS based database and accounting programs is they can just be booted on any machine from a thumb drive and they run without installing anything.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

Windows XP is good. It helped me to start using Linux.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I seldom if ever flay fancy games, but I do like the Spider Solitaire that came with XP. That runs fine on WINE on Linux. However, lately I prefer the Linux version.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I still have my eee901, with upgraded SSD (the 8G one it came with is too small). I installed Linux on it (it's only 32-bit).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The plasma display is reminiscent of playing Empire on Plato in the early 70's.

I keep the box as its the smallest ISA machine I had so I can still coax devices that require ISA slots to work in that box. I've had to do some surgery over the years (e.g., the "CMOS battery" is a proprietary BIG thing sourced out of Israel, I think; not the sort of thing I need to keep "OEM". Likewise, the BIOS ROMs don't support big disks (and no "Type 47" support) so I had to patch the ROM images and burn new ones to support the ~600MB disk in there.

Reply to
Don Y

YEP this entire concept of INSTALLING software in a registry is an issue. Individual SW with indiviual .ini files is less prone to big problems.

Thats what the windows registry is, a gigantic .ini file for everything I think they did it to make it harder for software piracy.

Reply to
makolber

Exactly. I had a buddy always razing me for being so slow to update (software, hardware). As if, somehow, all of the work my machines were doing was "stale" because they weren't 2017 models running the latest Bugware.

I would calmly reply: OK, let's assume I'm willing to spend the DAYS (!) reinstalling software, assume there is no learning curve for the new OS, assume I can move my licenses over to the new machine without having to repurchase anything (and, that anything I have to repurchase will NOT introduce new bugs or require a learning curve)... So, what am I going to *get* for this "investment"? Let's assume the machine is *10* times faster, overall. Will it speed up how quickly I decided which key to hit, next? Or, move the mouse to the desired icon 10 times faster? Or, catch my typographical errors 10 times faster? Or,...

[I.e., if you're playing GAMES, newer and faster make sense. But, if you are doing anything meatware limited, the machine is rarely the problem!]

That's true of most software vendors. I was looking for a file compression tool and stumbled on WinZIP (again). Version **20**?? Sheesh! What the hell does it do now that PKZIP didn't do 25 years ago???

Reply to
Don Y

Ah, you completely miss the point of a "registry"!

First, it keeps all of the settings in one place. So, you don't have gobs of little INI files scattered throughout the file system (in "real" OS's, you would like to be able to treat portions of the filesystem as read-only; perhaps even residing on immutable media!).

Second, by gathering all of the settings in one place, you can more easily support multiple users -- just swap out the "settings file" (instead of having an INI file for each user for each application!)

Third, it provides a common SERVICE (OS's are all about "services") so each developer doesn't have to invent his own INI file format/syntax and write a parser for it (to be able to "read" the INI file).

Fourth, it provides a way to protect those settings (with an INI file per user per application, you'd have to wade through the application decided to store its INI files and note that ...\ApplicationName\Don.ini is the INI file for "ApplicationName" while ...\ApplicationName\Administrator.ini is the INI file for the Administrator when he opts to use said ApplicationName. *And*, that Don shouldn't be able to access (read or write) the contents of ...\ApplicationName\Administrator.ini but that Administrator AND Don should be able to access ...\ApplicationName\Don.ini (but, no one else).

Fifth, it has the potential to allow other applications to "see" information maintained or controlling particular applications instead of each application having to invent a mechanism to peek into an INI maintained by some "foreign" app.

I use a full blown relational database in my current project for these reasons. It lets me create lots of little "databases" (tables/relations), saves the "user" (program) from having to know how to parse the data ("This is a number, this is a date, this is an IP address, etc." -- all defined by the table itself... no possibility of a date being entered where an IP address is expected!), lets me control who (applications) can see and/or alter individual entries and lets me share those entries without worrying about duplication costs/errors.

E.g., I can have a table called "network interfaces": interface_name IP_address IP_netmask FDX/HDX NIC_type friendly_name I can write an application that examines this table and uses the information it contains to create yet another table called "network statistics": interface_name octets_in octets_out packets_in packets_out dropped And, yet another application that uses these two to determine when an interface appears to have "died" -- to alert the user ("cable unplugged?")

Otherwise, you have to lump all of these things together which means you make a more complex program AND have to update it for each "new idea" (instead of AUGMENTING something that already "works perfectly")

Reply to
Don Y

Being the asshole that you are, your mama would be proud of you.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Did you bother to read what you wrote? "When MSFT discontinues support the policy always has been and still is, that it means they won't be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc."

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann