What's up with M$ ?

Page 3 of 4
On 5/12/2016 7:26 AM, dpb wrote:

The plasma display is reminiscent of playing Empire on Plato in the early 70's.
I keep the box as its the smallest ISA machine I had so I can still coax devices that require ISA slots to work in that box. I've had to do some surgery over the years (e.g., the "CMOS battery" is a proprietary BIG thing sourced out of Israel, I think; not the sort of thing I need to keep "OEM". Likewise, the BIOS ROMs don't support big disks (and no "Type 47" support) so I had to patch the ROM images and burn new ones to support the ~600MB disk in there.
| I agree. Anyone who wants to maintain an antique computer or antique | software needs to first make sure they have everything they will need | for the foreseeable future. That kind of planning and preparation should | have started years ago. |
While you're teasing people about antiques, be sure you download Win7 SP1. There's no reason to count on anything from Microsoft. Broken links is almost an industry for them. They often rework things in an attempt to coerce their customers.
(I happen to be writing this on my home-built, 6 month old, 8-core XP rocketship. I have a Win7 computer but it's too slow and naggy for regular use. :)

Yes

On 05/11/2016 02:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

They should still be available, even though XP is no longer supported, the existing updates should still be available. I turned on my XP machine recently and got one.
With Win7 there has been a huge slowdown so that might be the case with XP as well.
Best you can do is turn on auto-update if it's not on already and let the machine sit there for at least six or eight hours.
BTW: The WSoff-line update utility fetches them right away though
On 05/11/2016 01:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

If you want to run old moldy software, why do you want the newest updates? Sheeeesh!
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?
--
Snag

If you have full version of XP Pro. why you need upgrade
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 4:27:33 PM UTC-4, Tony944 wrote:

I don't know why anyone would need to buy Windows updates. They are available for free from MSFT, always have been. AFAIK, with all the products, when they discontinue support it just means now new updates and fixes. All the existing ones, right up until the last one are still supposed to be available. Here MSFT says that is indeed the case for XP.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/end-of-xp-support
Will existing updates still be available via Windows Update after April 8, 2014?
Yes, all existing Windows XP updates and fixes will still be available via Windows Update and WSUS.
trader_4 wrote:

When I try to update via WU , it tells me my browser is out of date - running a new install of IE8 ... wsus is downloading them right now for offline install . Don Y - I guess this will be my archive of updates .
--
Snag

On 5/11/2016 3:40 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I have a ~160GB (maybe 250?) external USB drive that is labeled "Windows Updates". It sits on a shelf waiting to be plugged into whichever machine "needs" updates (I don't let my machines "talk to the outside world" so *they* can't "fetch" the updates using the normal mechanism)
Consider each time you "updated" a machine, you went through the trouble of downloading those updates -- and then DISCARDING them after they were installed... :<
(I build computers for local non-profits; I can't afford to tie up my internet connection 24/7 trying to re-download the very same files that I just used to "update" the last machine that I built for the NEXT machine I'm building! And, the machine(s) after that...)
And, not have to be reliant on MS's servers being "up", your inet connection staying up, etc.
Don Y wrote:

wsus offline has accomplished the task , updates are installing now . And now I have an archive of updates ...
--
Snag

I downloaded a bunch of XP updates just a few weeks ago.. Can't remember how or where. There is an "unofficial" SP4 available on Softpedia that installs ALL updates post SP1 for 32 bit XP in one dump.
If you intend to keep using XP and may need to reinstall, download it NOW!!!
There is an unofficial registry patch for XP making the rounds over the past few years that redefines your XP OS as a Point of Sale device, and allows you to continue to receive some updates.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] "Installed"=dword:00000001
On 5/12/2016 4:23 AM, Steve Stone wrote:

This is dubious; it tries to make your XP system look like it is running XPe. The two are NOT the same. MS could easily (intentionally or unintentionally) push an XPe patch that screws up something on XP. You'd have no way of knowing that this was the case.
It's akin to overclocking a CPU -- it *might* work. And, it might NOT. And, if it doesn't, you'll never be able to point to "it" as the conclusive cause of the problem.

It's their product, they can do what they want with it. If you don't like it, you can always switch to Linux, FreeBSD, etc., or buy a Mac.
XP is 15 years old now, so it's not like they cut it off in its infancy. Time to move on. Or I suppose you could see if you can pay MS for support. I guess if you offered them enough money they'd keep you going indefinitely.
Too bad you haven't been using Free Software. If you had been, even if the creators decided they didn't want to support it anymore someone else could - even you!
On 5/12/2016 5:46 AM, Bud Frede wrote:

+1 This is why I do all my software development under FOSS.
OTOH, most of the "desktop" applications really suck in the FOSS world; I'm still waiting for a FOSS CAD package that can do what AutoCAD did 25+ years ago! :<
So, I run XP on those workstations to avail myself of the "better" software available on that platform.
("Security" not being an issue as the machines aren't routed!)

Why. If your needs did not change, why should you have to upgrade simply because they made something new? I know M$ is not making any money on me but I don't care. They are not providing anything I want.

Have you tried Linux?
nb
notbob wrote:

I have (Ubuntu) , but the wife "couldn't understand it" and refused to learn . I don't think Facecrook (shudder) cares what OS you're using , nor do the card games/whatever that she plays .
--
Snag

I've been using Linux since W98SE. I still have a fairly new XP netbook (eee). Never hurts to have a M$ operating system (OS), around. But, I NEVER take it online! That is, unless I have a "live" Linux flash drive to go online, with.
With a "live" Linux flash drive, I never use XP online. I use Linux. Jes plug the flash drive into a USB port and turn on yer box. With a "live" Linux flash drive plugged into a USB socket, the XP OS will never boot. It's Linux only. And when you turn off yer desk/laptop and unplug yer flash drive, it will be like Linux never existed. No trace will remain on yer XP computer.
NOTE: yer computer must be new enough (about circa 2000) to be able to "cold boot" from a flash drive.
In fact TAILS....
https://tails.boum.org/
....actually ask you if you want a Windows XP desktop (or used to). If you choose the XP desktop, TAILS boots up with a --for all practical purposes-- XP desktop. Hit the visible IE icon in the XP taskbar and Firefox will fire up. Looks like XP, but it's Linux!
IOW, if you know how to use Linux, you could make a desktop that yer wife would think is Windows. Besides, ppl are NOT born with an innate knowledge of Windows. Like Linux, it must be learned. Tell yer wife to open her mind and try and learn something new, instead of merely advancing her "make yer life a living Hell" skills. ;)
Also, try Mint Linux. It's based on Ubuntu, but is even more Windows user friendly.
nb
On 05/12/2016 10:54 AM, notbob wrote:
[snip]

I still have my eee901, with upgraded SSD (the 8G one it came with is too small). I installed Linux on it (it's only 32-bit).
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/