What's up with M$ ?

Page 2 of 4
On Thu, 12 May 2016 07:37:11 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

Every new release of Windoze comes with it's own vulnerabilities. If you are not using some common sense and a 3d party virus product, you are still at risk. Most of the attacks are through the add ons anyway. (Flash, active x and Outleak are the worst)

Then I suppose the business community would have paid MS enough to get them to prolong the support. Or maybe they don't actually care that much.
Refresh cycles in business for desktops and laptops is 5 years or less from what I've seen. Businesses will have done at least a couple of refreshes since 2001, so they're likely to have moved on from XP already. If they didn't, then it's their own fault. Who would expect Microsoft to support an OS for business use for even as long as they did?

Business use is where you want a stable platform that does not change that much over time. Retraining your staff and recreating business records for new systems that have marginal improvements in functionality is simply wasting money. That is why the POS business stayed with XP as long as it did. Running a string of cash registers is essentially the same operation as it has been for 100 years. They don't need "pinch" and they really try to avoid "swipe". ;-)
Touch screen support itself has been in the hardware for over 30 years, running on DOS machines.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Last time I was there , the chinese restaurant I used to deliver for was still using W2K in their POS terminal ... if it works , don't fuck with it ! And that's why I will stick with XP as long as possible . And when I move , it'll be to one of the Linux-based OS's . M$ is getting pretty good at taking our money for little to no benefit to the end user .
--
Snag

.....or put it on the internet. ;)

What do you mean, "getting"? They wrote the book, yrs ago. Bill got his $$$$ and split. Now they're going down that Autodesk/Adobe road. No buy, merely lease. ;)
nb
On 05/12/2016 09:57 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[snip]

Windows XP is good. It helped me to start using Linux.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 5/12/2016 7:57 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Exactly. I had a buddy always razing me for being so slow to update (software, hardware). As if, somehow, all of the work my machines were doing was "stale" because they weren't 2017 models running the latest Bugware.
I would calmly reply: OK, let's assume I'm willing to spend the DAYS (!) reinstalling software, assume there is no learning curve for the new OS, assume I can move my licenses over to the new machine without having to repurchase anything (and, that anything I have to repurchase will NOT introduce new bugs or require a learning curve)... So, what am I going to *get* for this "investment"? Let's assume the machine is *10* times faster, overall. Will it speed up how quickly I decided which key to hit, next? Or, move the mouse to the desired icon 10 times faster? Or, catch my typographical errors 10 times faster? Or,...
[I.e., if you're playing GAMES, newer and faster make sense. But, if you are doing anything meatware limited, the machine is rarely the problem!]

That's true of most software vendors. I was looking for a file compression tool and stumbled on WinZIP (again). Version **20**?? Sheesh! What the hell does it do now that PKZIP didn't do 25 years ago???
On 05/12/2016 9:57 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

One of the largest utilities in the US is, to the best of my knowledge, still using OS/2 on some plant-monitoring systems--although I moved the application to NT and it's it which they've "rolled out" on systems when they have died, it was never any cost-benefit to make the change on every unit until it became/becomes necessary. These are 24/7 background, "slow" real-time plant performance monitoring systems that are the backbone of the plant heat-rate monitoring which is the key statistic for reporting when the plant is operating most efficiently (or conversely, let's operations know when it is markedly off-target).
They do their job...

Terry Coombs wrote:

Have you tried: http://download.wsusoffline.net/
It might be under legacy products? I know I downloaded the updates for XP some time ago via this link.
Ken wrote:

Just hit their website , thanks for the link . You're the first one to try to help instead of bashing ...
--
Snag

On 05/11/2016 2:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Did you get what you needed? I'm pretty sure I've got the SP3 download still on the machine here (and yes, I'm still on XP, too, with no plans to change to any newer MS OS--when this machine finally dies, I'll go either Mac or a --ix flavor instead). If you didn't find it, post back and I'll do some more serious searching...

dpb wrote:

I do have SP3 , there were some other security updates that I probably need ... or not , is anybody still targeting XP with virii ? Though as I understand the virus world , they will compromise ANY OS they can infect . I never claimed to be any kind of a computer guru , I learned what I need to know to keep the machines I have running and virus-free . I'm a much better machinist than computer tech ....
--
Snag
And better cabinet
On 05/11/2016 04:16 PM, dpb wrote:
[snip]

SP3 won't install unless you have one of the other service packs already installed. Unless your XP disk has SP1 or SP2 already on it, you'll need that one too.
I recently installed XP. Then SP2 and SP3, then the updates. I was using Autopatcher, and kept the directory from the last time MS had new updates for XP.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

BTW, I had no plans to change either, but something started destroying** files on my XP computer, and a friend had given me a Vista computer he'd used at his company for a few years. It was all up and running.
When I have time I may go back to XP, but like one of you said, changing OSes, changing computers, is a lot of time and work.
**Maybe it was a virus, but i'm not convinced. It seemed to erase all the Windows files and nothing else when I turned it off. Yet I copied my email and newsgroup data from that very harddrive, in a drive caddy, iirc.
On 5/11/2016 12:48 PM, Ken wrote:

It will only address the "required"/security updates (plus .NET et ilk)
Ken wrote:

THANK YOU ! The updates are now installing , this program checks to see what's missing , then installs it .
--
Snag

On 5/11/2016 12:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Support has officially ended for XP. That means: no NEW patches and OLD patches are available only at *their* convenience.

Yes, you should have been maintaining your own *personal* copy of the updates, drivers, etc. I copy the entire support page for each of my computers onto "local media" so I can have access to those files after the vendor decides to render them obsolete.
Do you expect your laptop vendor to keep those files available "indefinitely"?
"I want to reinstall W95 on one of my antiques -- cuz it won't run 10. Where are the files??"

You can update to Vista or 7even (or even 8/8.1) -- if you don't like 10.

Depends on which updates you mean. You can usually find the *required* updates but may be SoL for the various "suggested" updates (including any drivers that they pushed on behalf of kit vendors). You may also have trouble finding descriptions of what all of the various updates "do".
[I keep a log of the updates that I install so, at least, I have the "brief synopsis" that MS provides on the update page(s). And, notes (to myself) as to why I chose NOT to install certain updates...]

I agree. Anyone who wants to maintain an antique computer or antique software needs to first make sure they have everything they will need for the foreseeable future. That kind of planning and preparation should have started years ago.

Windows has improved over the years in some ways, so the latest versions may be attractive to some people. (I'd say that 7 is better than XP in almost every way, and I'm not even a fan of Windows.)
On 5/12/2016 6:03 AM, Bud Frede wrote:

The problem is that "antique" is a handful of years. If you want any real control over your environment, you have to be proactive in monitoring the "support" that is available (as it varies over time -- old updates are no longer available, etc.)
My oldest "PC" is a Compaq Portable 386 (lunchbox) -- from the late 80's. <http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/thearchive/Computers/PC%20portables/Compaq%20Portable%20386.PDF A dog by today's standards. But, gives me an ISA box (I have the optional expansion chassis installed) as well as 5" floppy capabilities. *But*, I've made a conscious effort to have all of the files needed to rebuild the machine available (e.g., the "setup" mode is performed from floppies, not some hot key at POST).
My oldest Sun box is a Voyager: <http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Sun-Voyager-Sparc-Station-Model-146-NOT-WORKING-/230512938375 (Hmmm... for $500, I'd consider selling mine -- and mine actually WORKS!) Again, it's imperative to have squirreled away the various bits of software to make it *usable*!

I have a 7even laptop as well as a Vista laptop (and a W2K and an XP).
I tried 7even on one of my workstations and found it more sluggish than XP -- esp at application startup. I've noticed that FrameMaker likes to hang when run on the Vista laptop (haven't tried it on the 7even laptop/desktop).
Yet another incentive to NOT upgrade...
On 05/12/2016 8:43 AM, Don Y wrote: ...

I spent a memorable summer lugging one of those back and forth between Oak Ridge and Raleigh developing code for online coal elemental S analyzer--we were using the NCSU NE department's high-intensity neutron source for the developmental work; the analyzer was a gamma-spec device destined for power plant emissions monitoring control...
While the laptop belonged to the company was consulting through, I had to add the '387 coprocessor on my own in order to be able to get a spectrum fit and peak-stripping computation done in under minutes in order to have any chance whatever of getting anywhere--they were too cheap to buy a second actual hardware system and the other developer doing the user-interface commandeered it 'cuz had to have access to the actual hardware while I did the physics end...
Oh, the memories... :)