What's up with M$ ?

Page 1 of 4
It appears they have cut all XP users off from even the old updates ... I had to reinstall XP Pro in one of my laptops , and have been unable to get the updates they used to have from before they dropped support . Is this yet another move to force us to use their latest crap OS ? Is there anywhere else these updates can be gotten ?
--
Snag

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

in a long time.
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Really ? I knew there were no NEW updates , but until recently all the existing updates were available . Take a class in reading comprehension , you obviously did not understand what I wrote .
--
Snag

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 3:25:57 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

My understanding of MSFTs product lifecycle is the same as yours. When then stop supporting an OS, that doesn't mean that you can't still get all the existing updates, right up to the final one. It just means they are not issuing any further *new* updates.
I don't remember how updates worked in XP, but thought it was the same as it is now, ie via an update manager that is part of Windows. If you go into Windows, probably through control panel and tell it to check for updates, what happens?
It's interesting that you have this problem. Last Fall I went through hell with Win 7. I did a fresh restore to as shipped on a 4 year old PC. It all went fine, then it started doing updates. That went fine for a bit, until it put on a new version of the update manager. From then on, it would not continue updating. It tried, but the wheels just spun. Googling I found that a lot of people were having that problem, with no resolution or help from MSFT. Some had the exact same thing, ie started with a clean install, soon as it put on that new update manager, no more updates. I finally figured out a solution. I searched and found a later version of the update agent. So, I downloaded and manually installed that and the it resumed doing the updates, all the way to present.
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:25:57 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

Microsoft ceased support for XP over a year ago. Doesn't matter about updates, new or old, you're just setting yourself up to be hacked. But as ill-mannered as you are you probably deserve it.
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

You should talk about being an asshole ... M$ has said that the existing updates will still be available , and they are thru a 3rd party . But they are making it as difficult as they can to get them ... and I believe it's because they want everybody to move over to their newest revenue generator , W10 . I choose not to update , too many chances for snooping into what's none of their (or your) business with the new OS , not to mention that their new business model is to "rent" applications . The wife has a "new" laptop running W7 , which as far as I can tell is just Vista - the lousiest OS they ever made - with a new wrapper .
--
Snag
If you don't like what I say
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 9:53:24 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

you.
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

My Mama is dead , bitch . And like I said , if you don't like what I say , don't read it .
--
Snag

On Wed, 11 May 2016 12:16:34 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

He is saying if you scratch load a machine, you can't get the updates from M$. They have been available until now. It is something like 133 from a SP3 load.
On 05/11/2016 01:16 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Actually, I just got several XP updates today for Office related stuff.
On 05/11/2016 8:09 PM, rbowman wrote: ...

Those are Office, not the OS...one showed up here, today, too, but it's been a while since any actually for XP itself.

On 2016-05-11 3:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

the spend storage resources and bandwidth costs so you can hang on to an antique?
--
Froz....

FrozenNorth wrote:

Uhhh , maybe because the business community is still heavily invested in XP ?
--
Snag

On 2016-05-11 3:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

--
Froz....

It's not. XP has a miniscule share of the business community. They're primarily on windows 7.
On Wed, 11 May 2016 19:54:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

use. Generally NOT in internet connected applications - but plenty even there
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2:54:25 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

employees and last year we were told to upgrade to W-7 or you're on your own. No upgrades, no support, and no whining if you don't upgrade and are hacked.
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 10:37:16 AM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

If you're in that environment, then you should know that Terry is right and you're wrong. When MSFT discontinues support the policy always has been and still is, that it means they won't be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc. All the existing updates, right up to the last one, are still available and that was all that Terry wants. He also confirmed this because he's now downloading and installing them.
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 11:15:50 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

policy always has been and still is, that it means they won't be doing new updates, new fixes, answering questions, etc."
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 4:37:37 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Sure I read what I wrote. Terry clearly wasn't asking for MSFT to create and write new updates. He was asking for the updates to XP that were issued in the past, which are still available, as they always have been, even though support has ended. Proof of that is that he found them, downloaded them and is now installing them. Go back to sleep.