What's up with GE kitchen appliences?

GE may be the only large company that is representative of the entire US stock market. GE is very diversified. Buying GE stock is better than buying its services or products.
I'm buying a lot of things these days which do not last very long before they break. Also I'm buying many things which do not work new out of the box (various brands).
With many things, I am able to fix them or modify them so they work.
I'm very glad I am a mechanical/electronics type and can fix/modify these things. I have no idea how non-mechanical types (those who can't change a tire) are coping with this crap.
"Steve" wrote in message

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 07:59:54 -0800, "Bill"

Bill, why waste your time on buying and fixing NEW crap. Go to garage sales/goodwill stores/whathaveyou and buy something worth fixing to start with - for about half what you are paying for what isn't WORTH fixing.
GE got out of the appliance business years ago--sold the whole kit and caboodle to Black and Decker. Don't know who makes the ones that you've been buying but it's not made but GE MLD

GE is NOT General Electric anymore. The name has been licenced out to offshore producers of "generic junk", and is sold by that great American retail phenomenon, Wal-Mart - the purveyor of "generic junk"_ among others. Don't expect anything from Thompson (licencee of GE) or any other product you buy from WalMart to outlast the warrantee. It's all CRAP and the sooner the American buying public (and Canadian too) fiures that out, the better.
Wal-mart is among the very few retailers in North America to see a year-over-year increase in retail sales this last quarter. In hard times you should be spending your money on something that wil LAST, not buying crap.

Have you tried running a pot of vinegar through it? I have been buying 12-cup Mr Coffee for 20 years, used to be made in Cleveland Ohio but now they are made in China. My current maker is going on 8 years. A $5 timer will start coffee automatically in the morning if you want. I think I paid $15 for mine. A warranty on a small appliance is usually not worth it, sometimes the cost of shipping and a fee is more than a new unit. Plus, they may blame the failure on using hard water. There is nothing magical about GE nor its products, but the company is certainly not recession proof. My GE gas water heater is performing just fine for 10 years.

Yes, it was cleaned and shined. Stainless steel. You could see yourself in the shine. We don't like a drip through coffee maker. The coffee seems to develop a bitterness after awhile if you don't drink it right away. We don't seem to get that bitterness with a percolator for some reason. We put the hot fresh perked coffee in a couple of good thermos bottles and it would stay hot and fresh tasting all day. It was something to do with the quality of the GE percolator.. Many people on the review site had the same exact issue with it. I call it very poor quality testing of the product at GE or whoever the hell owns it........

--
try farberware. had one that lasted 20 years. the plug prongs in the base
finally rusted through. i\'m on my 2nd one, and it\'s 19 years old this year.
<We don't like a drip through coffee maker. <The coffee seems to develop a bitterness after awhile if you don't <drink it right away. We don't seem to get that bitterness with a <percolator for some reason. <We put the hot fresh perked coffee in a <couple of good thermos bottles and it would stay hot and fresh tasting <all day. It was something to do with the quality of the GE <percolator
What a load of crap. My mother still has an old metal GE percolator she drags out for large parties or meetings. The coffee is dreadful. It was dreadful in the 60s when my parents bought the thing. Drip coffee is always better than perked coffee. Perked coffee is usually "bitter", but drip coffee can only be bitter if you're using lousy coffee. Just drip the coffee and immediately put it into a thermos or serving pot. You're finished. You can now drink it all day and get the energy savings of having the coffee maker turned off immediately after the coffee is made.