What's up with GE kitchen appliences?

Page 2 of 3
On Mar 6, 10:29am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Good question! No I really do not need a blender. I could get along fairly well without one. But I would like to have one so I can make my own specialties and favorites so I don't have to go out to Dairy Queen or Starbucks or Bridgemans or anywhere else to enjoy what I could make myself at home in my old age... I am willing to pay more for quality as I stated. I would possibly be willing to pay even more for a truely good product. We pick alot of berries in the summer and freeze them in bags to use throughout the year. If anyone doesn't know what a blender can do to home picked berries they are truely missing a great treat...... Do I need a blender? No. Do I want a good quality blender? Yes. Would I be willing to pay more for a higher quality product? Yes. Thanks! Steve
Steve;2914112 Wrote: > On Mar 6, 10:29 am, mkirs...@rochester. wrote: > > > Good question! No I really do not need a blender. I could get along > fairly well without one. But I would like to have one so I can make > my own specialties and favorites so I don't have to go out to Dairy > Queen or Starbucks or Bridgemans or anywhere else to enjoy what I > could make myself at home in my old age... I am willing to pay more > for quality as I stated. I would possibly be willing to pay even more > for a truely good product. We pick alot of berries in the summer and > freeze them in bags to use throughout the year. If anyone doesn't > know what a blender can do to home picked berries they are truely > missing a great treat...... Do I need a blender? No. Do I want a > good quality blender? Yes. Would I be willing to pay more for a > higher quality product? Yes. Thanks! > Steve What kind of berries do you pick. So far I have grapes and strawberries started at home. I have a hard time getting my berries very big and my grapes finally just started to produce last year.
--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

These are mostly all wild berries found around in our area. Sometimes they are very plentiful depending on the seasonal weather we get. Among them are blueberries, rasberries, chokecherries, blackberries, & strawberries. We will juice some and freeze the rest. Mix a little of the juiced berries (more sugary) with the frozen berries and 2% milk and maybe a few ice cubes in a BLENDER and you have something really good....... I don't think grapes would grow well in our area... Steve

These are mostly all wild berries found around in our area. Sometimes they are very plentiful depending on the seasonal weather we get. Among them are blueberries, rasberries, chokecherries, blackberries, & strawberries. We will juice some and freeze the rest. Mix a little of the juiced berries (more sugary) with the frozen berries and 2% milk and maybe a few ice cubes in a BLENDER and you have something really good....... I don't think grapes would grow well in our area... Steve
--
try a food processor. it will last longer and do a better job. a blender is
not meant for chopping a lot of stuff. it\'s designed for blending, hence the

I suppose GE makes a pretty good food processor too? But thanks, that's a good suggestion. Steve

I suppose GE makes a pretty good food processor too? But thanks, that's a good suggestion. Steve
--
i wouldn\'t buy a GE anything, frankly. i have an oster FP. i had a lot of
trouble with it, when a plastic part broke and they said they couldn\'t send

Did this part fail or break after the warranty period was over? If it broke after the warranty period and they gave you a new FP that says alot about Oster as a company. Couldn't you have sent the processor back to them for repairs. If they had the part they must do the repairs I would think? Was this FP made in China too? Thanks. Steve

Did this part fail or break after the warranty period was over? If it broke after the warranty period and they gave you a new FP that says alot about Oster as a company. Couldn't you have sent the processor back to them for repairs. If they had the part they must do the repairs I would think? Was this FP made in China too? Thanks. Steve
--
the motor shaft has a plastic shaft cover on it that is keyed to the blade
hub. the cover cracked, and epoxy wasn\'t hard enough to fix it.

The current crop of any Black & Decker appliances are junk, and if GE is B&D, they will be the same.
Get an OLD Kenwood, or Kitchen-aid, or equivalent, or pay the big bucks for a high end european built unit.
Steve;2914190 Wrote:

Montana.
--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com
Dymphna wrote:

A lot of citrus grows in Alaska.

Glad to see this type of 'Do we REALLY need' discussion taking place.
Every one of the extra gadgets that we have or aspire to possess is just more junk to eventually recycle, or worse, junk completely.
And extra gadgets do tend to increase maintenance and additional cost. Two examples come to mind. A jacuzzi tub, frinstance. More jets, pumps and electrical to be cleaned out and a higher chance of contaminating/ bacteria! Hence more use of time and materials. Really necessary? ................ No.
Electric windows in our current vehicle; recently it was below freezing, needed to open window to clear outside mirror. Window frozen, vehicle almost blew a fuse ................ whereas with an 'old-fashioned' winder one would have eased the handle with just enough pressure until window opened. Necessary ...................... No.
Not saying everyone needs to go back to cooking in single black pot over an open smoky, inefficient and unhealthy fire.
But much of the gadgetry that is today extolled/advertised as desirable, sought after or even essential is not. It's just wasteful. Like three people living in a five bedroom six thousand square foot house with four or five bathrooms! Just unnecessary? People replacing perfectly good appliances just because they 'Don't like the colour'! I ask you ......... !!!!
So maybe from the extremes of the homeless who can't afford any kind of roof over their heads, a disgrace in our modern western societies, to the average middle class Jane and Joe, to those of more affluent means, a more reasonable 'Is it really needed' approach may take place as a result of the current economic downturn in the world economy? I certainly hope so.
In fact maybe it can be argued that it is rampant consumerism and impractical credit granting that has caused the present crisis. I certainly don't have extra resources to go out and spend more to re- boost the economy. I'm just busy trying to maintain and keep up the modest home etc. that we've managed to self-build over our working lifetime since 1950! And in fact will be downsizing.
Another symptom. Local TV channel is still trying to sell dozens of low mileage, late model gigantic V8 automatic pickups, talking up all the features of 'Cruise Control' (very dangerous on our icy roads btw), five speaker sound systems, electric this and that and so and so on! These things weigh 5000 pounds or more. More fuel, more wear and tear on roads more systems/part to go wrong and eventually be crushed, etc. etc.
Here endeth the sermon!

Go to Goodwill or equivalent and find one made over 15 years ago, in north america. Pay $10 for it, and spend up to $20 "making it right" - you will have something that will still be working 15 years from now.
On Mar 6, 10:36am, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hey, dont give away my secret! $10 would be high around here at the Good Will store, you can often pick up a coffee maker or blender for under $5. At the GW store here they will give you a call if an appliance comes in you were looking for, otherwise its hit or miss. But they get donations daily.
So what brand should I be looking at, if not GE, that has an equally good warranty and actually does make a high quality product that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (i.e. not over about $100)? I guess I only paid about $30 for this GE piece of crap but I would be willing to go double or up to triple that for something decent. I don't want or need anything high tech..... Just one that I can rely on to work every day as well as the day I bought it (at least up to the end of the warranty period) and is fairly easy to clean and care for. I guess that's all I ask for anything I buy....... Thanks! Steve
A few years ago we bought a Kitchen Aid for about $50. Reliable, does any type of bread and has wide slots for bagels. The toast is even and the same doneness slice after slice.
The only toaster I was able to find not made in China was the Dualit. They are made in England and start at about $200.

Wrong.
People are only concerned with CHEAPEST PRICE. That's it. Nothing else. If you can get item X from vendor B for 1 cent less than vendor A, you buy from vendor B. Doesn't matter that vendor A's item is a quality unit and vendor B's is low end junk. Vendor B's is cheaper.
People are hopelessly stupid.
We're painted into a corner. You can't demand quality because you're the only one demanding it. There's no profit in cranking out one good blender when you're selling millions of junk blenders and the people just keep buying them up like they're going out of style.
They've taken a luxury item, a blender, and made a cheap copy that the average joe can afford. It used to be that you either got a blender as a wedding gift, or you didn't have a blender. You didn't go out and buy one for yourself. Too expensive. Now it's every man's God-given right to own a blender, but it doesn't stop at blenders. Gotta have every toy and gizmo and gadget...
On Mar 6, 10:25am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Very good response..... You're absolutely right that it doesn't stop at blenders.... Somehow I am beginning to think our ecomomy is doomed......... Everyone will be forced to lead a more frugal life.... Soon the younger generation will come to believe the partying is over...... RIP...... just mho.......

Wrong.
When you wanted a blender, you looked at the available models, and budgeted your money to buy the particular one that suited your needs, and you could afford. You didn't buy a cheap piece of plastic crap every five minutes to satisfy your braindead consumer drive, you instead made one deliberate purchase, your blender, which was made by a guy in a factory who worked 40 hours a week and who owned a modest house which was kept clean by his wife (the daughter helped clean, and the son helped mow the lawn).
You took it home, opened the box, and read the instructions. You made something with it, and you and your family spent a little quality time being entertained by your new purchase, a quality blender, and all enjoyed the new foods it helped to create.
You cleaned it, and put it away in the place you made for it in the kitchen cabinet until the next time you needed it, and you did this for 10, 20, maybe even 30 years. If it broke, you fixed it because it was made from metal and glass and used standard fasteners and parts that you could at the very least order from a parts company.
When you finally gave it up, it went to a second hand store, where they made sure it was working, and someone without much money bought it for a good price and took care of it in the same way that you did.
Now don't get me wrong, the cheap plastic blender isn't everything that is wrong with our country, but it is one of many example of the way in which our once proud and noble culture has allowed itself to be dumped into a landfill without concern for those who worked hard to build it up to what it once was, because we have been conditioned to not care about the things which were once culturally important to us (wouldn't want to offend anyone now, would we).
Jon
Jon Danniken;2913982 Wrote: > "Ed Pawlowski" wrote: > > > > I imagine a lot of people don't bother taking the $7 toaster back but > just > > get a new one. > > And that is why they can get away with selling junk to people. We have > > become so conditioned to throwing things away that demanding quality in > the > first place doesn't register with the majority of people, let alone > buying > good quality items in the first place and fixing them when they wear > out. > > Jon Agreed. And then we complain about the dump filling up. :rolleyes:
--
Dymphna
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A lot of people seem to have forgotten what a warranty is. If it isn't something I can readily repair myself (it frequently is), I actually make warranty claims.
One recent one was for a Gerber multi-tool I managed to break, it has a "lifetime warranty", so for the $3 postage I sent it off and what do you know, a week later I received a brand new one. $3 deductible on a $30 tool effectively.
I had a similar experience for a Princeton Tec headlight that died. It was rated for 1 meter water resistance, and it drowned hand washing mud off of it in about 6" of water. A few $ worth of postage to send it off, and a brand new one showed up in a week or so.
Another one to keep in mind is that most quality brands of batteries have a warranty against damage to an item due to leakage. A friend had a fairly expensive piece of test equipment where the batteries leaked in it and was about to throw it away when I suggested he call the battery manufacturer's 800 number (I believe it was Duracell). He called and they had him send it in, a few weeks later a brand new unit arrived, an upgrade too since the previous model was discontinued.
Not many people take advantage of these warranties, and the good companies know that if they treat the ones who do well, the good word of mouth is worth far more than the warranty service.