What's up with GE kitchen appliences?

Therin lies the problem with our society. You want quality but you are unwilling to pay for it, and you are unwilling do live without a blender. What do you use a blender for? How often do you use a blender? I think my parents have three that they acquired over the years as gifts. We made a few milkshakes with them when I was a kid and they were new. They got stashed away in the back of the cabinet and haven't seen the light of day in decades. I've got a blender that I have NEVER used. Not once.

Do you really need a blender? That's what you should be asking.

Reply to
mkirsch1

people don't bother taking the $7 toaster back but

become so conditioned to throwing things away that demanding quality in

first place doesn't register with the majority of people, let alone

good quality items in the first place and fixing them when they wear

Jon Agreed. And then we complain about the dump filling up. :rolleyes:

Reply to
Dymphna

Very good response..... You're absolutely right that it doesn't stop at blenders.... Somehow I am beginning to think our ecomomy is doomed......... Everyone will be forced to lead a more frugal life.... Soon the younger generation will come to believe the partying is over...... RIP...... just mho.......

Reply to
Steve

GE is NO LONGER an appliance company. They, like many of what were considered "successful" american companies over the last 2 decades are nothing more than a financial shell game. Like many others of their ilk they have no right or expectation to survive in the "new economy".

Even Warren got fooled, so don't feel TOO bad.

Reply to
clare

Go to Goodwill or equivalent and find one made over 15 years ago, in north america. Pay $10 for it, and spend up to $20 "making it right" - you will have something that will still be working 15 years from now.

Reply to
clare

Bill, why waste your time on buying and fixing NEW crap. Go to garage sales/goodwill stores/whathaveyou and buy something worth fixing to start with - for about half what you are paying for what isn't WORTH fixing.

Reply to
clare

Good question! No I really do not need a blender. I could get along fairly well without one. But I would like to have one so I can make my own specialties and favorites so I don't have to go out to Dairy Queen or Starbucks or Bridgemans or anywhere else to enjoy what I could make myself at home in my old age... I am willing to pay more for quality as I stated. I would possibly be willing to pay even more for a truely good product. We pick alot of berries in the summer and freeze them in bags to use throughout the year. If anyone doesn't know what a blender can do to home picked berries they are truely missing a great treat...... Do I need a blender? No. Do I want a good quality blender? Yes. Would I be willing to pay more for a higher quality product? Yes. Thanks! Steve

Reply to
Steve

Have you tried running a pot of vinegar through it? I have been buying 12-cup Mr Coffee for 20 years, used to be made in Cleveland Ohio but now they are made in China. My current maker is going on 8 years. A $5 timer will start coffee automatically in the morning if you want. I think I paid $15 for mine. A warranty on a small appliance is usually not worth it, sometimes the cost of shipping and a fee is more than a new unit. Plus, they may blame the failure on using hard water. There is nothing magical about GE nor its products, but the company is certainly not recession proof. My GE gas water heater is performing just fine for 10 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

GE may be the only large company that is representative of the entire US stock market. GE is very diversified. Buying GE stock is better than buying its services or products.

Reply to
Phisherman

Good question! No I really do not need a blender. I could get along

well without one. But I would like to have one so I can make

specialties and favorites so I don't have to go out to Dairy

Starbucks or Bridgemans or anywhere else to enjoy what I

home in my old age... I am willing to pay more

would possibly be willing to pay even more

alot of berries in the summer and

year. If anyone doesn't

they are truely

want a

higher quality product? Yes. Thanks!

What kind of berries do you pick. So far I have grapes and strawberries started at home. I have a hard time getting my berries very big and my grapes finally just started to produce last year.

Reply to
Dymphna

Yes, it was cleaned and shined. Stainless steel. You could see yourself in the shine. We don't like a drip through coffee maker. The coffee seems to develop a bitterness after awhile if you don't drink it right away. We don't seem to get that bitterness with a percolator for some reason. We put the hot fresh perked coffee in a couple of good thermos bottles and it would stay hot and fresh tasting all day. It was something to do with the quality of the GE percolator.. Many people on the review site had the same exact issue with it. I call it very poor quality testing of the product at GE or whoever the hell owns it........

Reply to
Steve

These are mostly all wild berries found around in our area. Sometimes they are very plentiful depending on the seasonal weather we get. Among them are blueberries, rasberries, chokecherries, blackberries, & strawberries. We will juice some and freeze the rest. Mix a little of the juiced berries (more sugary) with the frozen berries and 2% milk and maybe a few ice cubes in a BLENDER and you have something really good....... I don't think grapes would grow well in our area... Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes, it was cleaned and shined. Stainless steel. You could see yourself in the shine. We don't like a drip through coffee maker. The coffee seems to develop a bitterness after awhile if you don't drink it right away. We don't seem to get that bitterness with a percolator for some reason. We put the hot fresh perked coffee in a couple of good thermos bottles and it would stay hot and fresh tasting all day. It was something to do with the quality of the GE percolator.. Many people on the review site had the same exact issue with it. I call it very poor quality testing of the product at GE or whoever the hell owns it........

Reply to
charlie

These are mostly all wild berries found around in our area. Sometimes they are very plentiful depending on the seasonal weather we get. Among them are blueberries, rasberries, chokecherries, blackberries, & strawberries. We will juice some and freeze the rest. Mix a little of the juiced berries (more sugary) with the frozen berries and 2% milk and maybe a few ice cubes in a BLENDER and you have something really good....... I don't think grapes would grow well in our area... Steve

Reply to
charlie

I suppose GE makes a pretty good food processor too? But thanks, that's a good suggestion. Steve

Reply to
Steve

I suppose GE makes a pretty good food processor too? But thanks, that's a good suggestion. Steve

Reply to
charlie

Did this part fail or break after the warranty period was over? If it broke after the warranty period and they gave you a new FP that says alot about Oster as a company. Couldn't you have sent the processor back to them for repairs. If they had the part they must do the repairs I would think? Was this FP made in China too? Thanks. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Did this part fail or break after the warranty period was over? If it broke after the warranty period and they gave you a new FP that says alot about Oster as a company. Couldn't you have sent the processor back to them for repairs. If they had the part they must do the repairs I would think? Was this FP made in China too? Thanks. Steve

Reply to
charlie

A lot of people seem to have forgotten what a warranty is. If it isn't something I can readily repair myself (it frequently is), I actually make warranty claims.

One recent one was for a Gerber multi-tool I managed to break, it has a "lifetime warranty", so for the $3 postage I sent it off and what do you know, a week later I received a brand new one. $3 deductible on a $30 tool effectively.

I had a similar experience for a Princeton Tec headlight that died. It was rated for 1 meter water resistance, and it drowned hand washing mud off of it in about 6" of water. A few $ worth of postage to send it off, and a brand new one showed up in a week or so.

Another one to keep in mind is that most quality brands of batteries have a warranty against damage to an item due to leakage. A friend had a fairly expensive piece of test equipment where the batteries leaked in it and was about to throw it away when I suggested he call the battery manufacturer's 800 number (I believe it was Duracell). He called and they had him send it in, a few weeks later a brand new unit arrived, an upgrade too since the previous model was discontinued.

Not many people take advantage of these warranties, and the good companies know that if they treat the ones who do well, the good word of mouth is worth far more than the warranty service.

Reply to
Pete C.

de quoted text -

Hey, dont give away my secret! $10 would be high around here at the Good Will store, you can often pick up a coffee maker or blender for under $5. At the GW store here they will give you a call if an appliance comes in you were looking for, otherwise its hit or miss. But they get donations daily.

Reply to
RickH