what's this wire for?

Just pulled out 100 feet of this:
http://freeboundaries.com/wire.jpg
not connected to anything at either end. What did its function used to be?

Does it say "foam" on the jacket? The picture isn't that great but from the size I am guessing that is an old TV lead in.

Antenna cable, old style 300 ohm that connected to two screws on the TV.
Looks like outdoor phone wire. The telephone co near me uses it. PIA to work with. Might even be steel conductor. Not worth much.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Man, did you get lucky!
New EPA regulations require that the removal of any wire with a black jacket and blurry writing in *excess* of 100 feet be approved by your state's BJWWBWA (Black Jacketed Wire With Blurry Writing Administration).
Failure to obtain approval prior to beginning the removal could result in a maximum penalty of $50 per foot and the on-site storage of the offending BJWWBW for up to 24 months.
It's a good thing that you only removed 100 feet.

I was just about to post that same info :-)

You need to learn to give more data in your questions so people can give more educated responses rather than wild ass guesses.
Saying you "pulled 100 feet of this" gives very little data. Saying you pulled it from the ground, from the attic, between panels, from a well, from an antenna, or any of a hundred more possible places would narrow the responses considerably.
KC

Stripping the wire would help immensely.

If the wire is stranded it is most likely TV cable if it is solid more that likely its phone wire. My bet is on TV cable even though it may be solid. There was some made. The reason being the colored insulation in the middle of the cable. I have seen some like this before. TV cable tended to be more oval while telephone cable was more square. At least this goes for the stuff I have had experience with.
Jimmie
Aaron Fude wrote: ...

That's 300-ohm antenna cable.
Phone cable. Typical outdoors and on construction sites in the "olden days".
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

My thought also. The insulation is too thick and the wires too close for 300 ohm tv cable as some others gave suggested.

It does look like 300 ohm "foam" wire. It looks too big for phone cable unless this guy has tiny fingers.