what's this kind of tool called?

Page 1 of 2
I've seen an open-ended wrench that curves down like a silverware fork when viewed from the side, with the open-end where the tines are. What is this kind of wrench called? thanks Liam
Sounds like an offset open end wrench.

Liam wrote:

An offset open-end box wrench.

correct. Had to use a torch and a grinder to make such a wrench once, to avoid taking something else off to fix what I wanted to fix.
aem sends...
: :> :> Liam wrote: :> > I've seen an open-ended wrench that curves down like a silverware fork :> > when viewed from the side, with the open-end where the tines are. What :> > is this kind of wrench called?:> :> An offset open-end box wrench.:> : I've always heard that called a crow's-foot wrench - no idea if that is : correct. Had to use a torch and a grinder to make such a wrench once, to : avoid taking something else off to fix what I wanted to fix.
: aem sends...
ya, it's a crow-foot, easily available, necessary for sink faucet replacements... without it you work with new washers & seats... great and needed tool!
AND Books wrote:

No, that's a basin wrench. Could be called a crowfoot I suppose but if you ask for a crowfoot when you want a basin, you will have to do some explaining. What is being described is an offset end wrench. Usually has a open end on one end and box end on the other or two of each of different sizes.
The term "crow foot" is a bit outmoded. The ones I knew as such were clumsy and crude affairs way back when.
Harry K
: AND Books wrote:
:> : :> :> :> :> Liam wrote: :> :> > I've seen an open-ended wrench that curves down like a silverware fork :> :> > when viewed from the side, with the open-end where the tines are. What :> :> > is this kind of wrench called? :> :> :> :> An offset open-end box wrench. :> :> :> : I've always heard that called a crow's-foot wrench - no idea if that is :> : correct. Had to use a torch and a grinder to make such a wrench once, to :> : avoid taking something else off to fix what I wanted to fix.:> :> : aem sends...:> :> ya, it's a crow-foot, easily available, necessary for sink faucet :> replacements... without it you work with new washers & seats... :> great and needed tool!:> :> :> -- : No, that's a basin wrench. Could be called a crowfoot I suppose but if : you ask for a crowfoot when you want a basin, you will have to do some : explaining. What is being described is an offset end wrench. Usually : has a open end on one end and box end on the other or two of each of : different sizes.
: The term "crow foot" is a bit outmoded. The ones I knew as such were : clumsy and crude affairs way back when.
: Harry K
you *are* right! only tyme i looked for one was to remove a Moen faucet from a sink. i never did it, cause it just wasn't worth doing, and i'm not a plumber... next time around i'll as for a Basin Wrench, that might help... BTW the "crow-foot" only to the end of the ratchet extension, which i assumed was the whole thing... i now believe that a "basin wrench" is much more accurate... thanks!
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:17:53 +0000 (UTC), AND Books

I have a set of those crowfeet that go on the end of a ratchet, because they were cheap, but I know I don't do enough work to likely need one. I saw a photo of one in use, and it's a rare location that can't take a regular socket because there is eomthing in the way, and can't take an end wrench, but could take a crowfoot on a socket wrench handle.

Maybe I didn't read the right catalogs or go to the right stores, but I never saw offset wrenches until 10 or 15 years ago.
(Of course a standard box wrench is offset, if that is the right word, in that the wrench part is at an angle to the handle in different planes) and an open end wrench is offset, if that is the right word, in that the opening is at an angle to the handle in the same plane.
But it's only the ones with the dip, like a fork has (good description OP) that are called offset. IIUC

mm wrote:

The offset wrenches have been around since I was a pup and that is loooonnng time ago, back in the 40s. Probably were around before that. I have seen ones in junk shops that were made by using a torch on a regular wrench. Usually one that looked like it would have been used way long ago.
Harry K

offset box wrenches everywhere but I don't believe I've seen offset open end wrenches that were offset like that. Ignition wrenches are kind of sideways offset but thats not it. Google couldn't find me one either. Is the OP sure it was open ended?

Sounds like a Basin wrench
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:06:11 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"

No. He's talking about an offset of an inch or so, and a basin wrench uses a 10 or 12 inch rod, (long enough to get up behind a basin) and doesn't have a standard open end wrench at the end. It has a spring loaded curved arm with teeth.
No crows were injured during this thread.

What about there feet??
Liam wrote:

In old days that was good to adjust distributor on car engine doing tune up; timing adjustment. I maybe wrong but it was called distributor adjusting off-set wrench.
it's an offset wrench. crows foot wrenches are just the open ended side of a wrench that can recieve a ratchet(you can add extensions to reach difficult bolts).
http://tinyurl.com/s7jzx

tom&kel wrote:

I agree with that description. A crows foot, as I know it, is just the tip of an open end wrench with an opening to receive a socket extension. A regular open end wrench with a bend at the end is called an offset, but they are not very common.

They are as common as dirt. Will be found in any mechanics tool box, hanging on the wall in hardware stores, and should be a few in every homeowners toolkit if he does any wrenching at all.
Harry K
the open ended offset are somewhat less common. i bought two sets that were labeled "ignition wrenches".
even less common are the saltus wrenches with a socket on one side and a open end on the other.

tom&kel wrote:

The description "curves down like a silverware fork when viewed from the side" more fits the offset wrench than distributor.
"I think the closed type are a bit more common. The distributor type has a larger offset than most and I think usually closed.
So here are some pictures of some, closed and open:
http://www.woodpeck.com/offsetwrenches.html
http://www.allproducts.com/tool/okt/Product-2003127232838.html http://www.kyototool.co.jp/english/nepros/wrench.htm
Distributor wrench:
http://www.vimtools.com/cat_17.asp