What's the R-value of a fireplace?

Page 2 of 2

I the other house about 40 years old, the mortar had cracked and left a lot of holes all around the front of both fireplaces.
I had tried stoves in those fireplaces, and it was hard to seal gaps around the flue. It does not work well unless you add another pipe the same diameter as the stove outlet in the chimney. The draft is screwed up otherwise.
Now I intend on putting in a stove downstairs. I already have a chimney, but I just need to properly install it. The insurance people want a professional install. I have a lot of wood to burn on my property, otherwise a cord of wood is about $70 if you haul.

== All fireplaces are a waste of time, money, space and are heat wasters in the grand scheme of things. Most of the heat simply goes up the chimney. Wood burning furnaces or space heaters make far more sense if they are designed properly. ==