What's the deal with the heavily-advertized Dyson vacuum cleaners?

Page 3 of 3

Lee B wrote:

Th "multi-cyclonic" only describes how it stores the dirt, not how well it gets it from the carpet.

If I hit the lotto, I don't think I'd have a new vacuum on the list of priorities. I think all that overbuying is why a lot of lottery winners end up poor again. Have to have the latest greatest most expensive of everything, when a cheap one will do just as well.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

You're right. I'll just use my winnings to hire a maid instead <VBG>.

Or TWO!
GMTA
Steve

The maid is still going to need a vacuum cleaner.

Consumer Reports says they are so-so. They sure do look high tech. However, SWMBO bought a Hoover $89.95 on sale a while back and claims it is the best of many to pass through our portals in the the last 36 years. Since the cleanup involves 3 cats, 1 dog and carpets her opinion has merit.
Joe
Sum Guy wrote:

Avoid it at all costs. In a recent vacuum cleaner test it was rated 11th.
What you want to do is to buy a commercial vacuum cleaner. If you have a Costco Business Center near you, they carry them. They are not exceptionally expensive, they last a long time, and they suck.
Dyson is for the same people that buy the Bose Wave Radio!

We have a five-year-old Dyson. Before that SWMBO would go through a Hoover, Eureka, or whatever, every six to nine months. They would either lose suction (sucks to lose impeller blades) or would blow out the side of the case. Yes, they aren't designed to suck up pennies, but the fact is they do. The Dyson may not work any better but it *is* built better than the $100 vacuums out there.
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:34:47 -0400, Sum Guy wrote:

Which? They make quite a few different models, and you don't say where you are...
We had a DC05 at one point - the filters would block up quickly, part of the hose assembly broke after a while (and they only wanted to sell me a whole new hose assembly at great expense rather than just the fitting that had broken), and the whole rotating brush part which was supposed to run via the airflow was just a joke and next to useless (I'd end up stripping the whole brush assembly apart at least a couple of times a month, which gets old fast).
Never tried one of those Dysons with the ball, if that's what you're talking about.

If you have a really good product, people know about it, and you don't have to spend a lot on advertising. If you don't, you advertise the hell out of it. They have to sell a lot of vacuums to just break even on the advertising. Like Geico. Tons of TV ads. Nascar cars. Drag racers @ $40,000 a run. If they want to drop the cost of their insurance, simply cut the ad costs. Allstate is beating them up pretty good now by just advertising prices, and not going with all the hoopla. I'm just sick of seeing the cavemen.
Steve

You do have a point. Advertising doesn't do anything. Sheesh^2.

You do have a point. Advertising doesn't do anything. Sheesh^2.

You do have a point. Advertising doesn't do anything. Sheesh^2.
No, it does work. Look what it did for FenFen and Hydroxycut. Dangerous chemicals, and people were buying them like candy. What would the rates at Geico REALLY be like if they didn't have dragsters making $40,000 runs, and $200,000 cars being totaled? I'd say it would be less. That's my point.
Steve

Textbook logic fallacy. You said just a bit earlier that if a business had a good product, people would know about it and they wouldn't have to advertise. The diet stuff you mention worked and worked well - unfortunately it had some side effects. Since it worked well, and there is a grapevine, the products would have still sold with or without advertising.
Stop Monday morning quarterbacking. It's Monday morning fer crissakes!

Businesses are in business to give _you_ the lowest cost and not give, or attempt to give, the stockholders the biggest bang and/or maximize profits? Right - makes perfect sense.
Businesses are about profit. Doing business with a business means you accept this. No one is holding a gun to your head. You don't like it, don't do business with that business - and don't whine about it. It's unseemly.

Textbook logic fallacy. You said just a bit earlier that if a business had a good product, people would know about it and they wouldn't have to advertise. The diet stuff you mention worked and worked well - unfortunately it had some side effects. Since it worked well, and there is a grapevine, the products would have still sold with or without advertising.
Stop Monday morning quarterbacking. It's Monday morning fer crissakes!

Businesses are in business to give _you_ the lowest cost and not give, or attempt to give, the stockholders the biggest bang and/or maximize profits? Right - makes perfect sense.
Businesses are about profit. Doing business with a business means you accept this. No one is holding a gun to your head. You don't like it, don't do business with that business - and don't whine about it. It's unseemly.
I KNOW what greases the wheels. I didn't just fall off a turnip truck. Ah, if I were only as smart as thou.
Steve
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:38:00 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

Whiners just like to whine.
On Sat 17 Oct 2009 07:34:47a, Sum Guy told us...

I can't speak to the advertising question, but I have a very close friend who bought the "ball" type Dyson model designed for pet hair. She's had it for over a year now and swears it's the best vacuum she's ever owned. She has two dogs.
I borrowed it for a weekend, as we have five cats, and I was curious how well it did. Before using it I thoroughly vacuumed our carpeting with our Bissell upright. I couldn't believe how much more cat hair and general dust and debris the Dyson picked up.
If I could afford one right now, I'd buy one.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 06:29:11 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Try the same experiment again, but use the Dyson first and then note how the Bissel then picks up a lot of what the Dyson missed, too.