What's the deal with the heavily-advertized Dyson vacuum cleaners?

Page 2 of 3

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:40:06 -0500, Jules

And an even shorter service life!
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:37:17 -0400, salty wrote:

Most of them were crashed before they ever got to that point ;-)

Based on what? Based on other people's opinions? That's what the reviews on Amazon and Epinions and the like are - other people's opinions. If you don't value other people's opinions, does that mean you're smarter than everyone else? Based on you being an auto mechanic and taking them apart and putting them back together again? That has some weight, so let's apply it to what Chocstraw opined: do you think he's an appliance repairman and has had a large number of unhappy customers with Dyson vacuums? Why wouldn't he have said so? Why would Dyson give a FIVE year warranty if the things didn't last (main reason people replace vacuums is because they break).
RicodJour wrote:

Or they <thought> they were broken. When I lived in the apartments, I used to find at least one orphan a month sitting by the dumpster. Almost always, all they needed was the string cut out of the beater bar, the hairballs removed from the elbow in the plumbing, and maybe a new belt to replace the smoked-slick or broken one. If they were shiny enough, I'd get them running and drop them off at Goodwill, or give to friends to sell in their garage sale.
That is one definite downside of moving into a house. Instead of 17 dumpsters that I would walk by every evening on my walk, now I get to listen to idiot dogs barking at me, even after we have been introduced multiple times.
-- aem sends...
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:26:20 -0700, Scott in SoCal wrote:

Interesting - back in the day I used to hear nothing but praise about their off-roaders; sounded like they were just as capable as the more expensive equivalents from other manufacturers.
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 08:16:19 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour

It's not uncommon for people to like what they bought. Once they spent money on it, they sort of have to like it, or else admit they were foolish.
a pair) or cheap sunglasses, as some prophet once said.
Steve

Opinions vary.

You're bitching about two or three bills for sunglasses? Sheesh. You really are out of the loop. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/on-show-interbike-2009-part-17
a pair) or cheap sunglasses, as some prophet once

You're bitching about two or three bills for sunglasses? Sheesh. You really are out of the loop. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/on-show-interbike-2009-part-17
Yeah, they don't carry those at the Dollar Store.
Forget the dyson, get the purple kenmore, go out to a *really* nice dinner for the price difference. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/ProductDisplay?partNumber036933000P&storeId153&sName=Upright&psid=Amazon&vName=Appliances&cName=Vacuums&catalogId605&sid=IDx20090505x00001a
no affiliation, just happy with the vac. It really sucks (just had to throw that in there)
jc

There is a little missleading information in their commercials in saying that they do not loose suction. Their claim is based on the use of cyclone centrifugal dust separation. Not the first to use them. They are used in industrial applications and have been used in many vacuums. However, cyclones work best with large dirt, fine dust and even lighter bacterial and viruses rarely get separated because they don't weigh enough to be affected by the centrifugal force. Dysons sometimes mention they use a Hepa final filter to clean the air. Hepa is not a standard and can mean many things, but, to add any filter at the end of the exhaust can result in the filter becoming plugged and reducing the amount of air that leaves the vacuum, thereby loosing suction, which is what they advertise that it does not do.
I prefer central vacuums, with the exhaust blowing to the outside so that fine particulate and other unwanted items are discharged to the outdoors, not back into my house.

Consumer Reports October 2009: Dyson Animal DC28 rated 10th out of 40 Uprights (but not Check Rated). Cost $600. There were better performing Check Rated models for as little as $120.
--
Peace,
BobJ

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:58:29 -0400, "EXT"

When you wrote Hepa, if you meant HEPA, there is a HEPA standard: they are able to trap at least 99.97 percent of particles of .3 microns.

Is the mis-capitalization really that much of a stretch?
on 10/17/2009 7:54 PM (ET) Joe wrote the following:

As long as it isn't Hep-A that you are talking about. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Clever. Nice one! ;-)

OMIGAWD! I totally understood that he meant HEPA when he typed Hepa. What is wrong with me, and what should I be doing about it?
Steve
on 10/17/2009 11:58 AM (ET) EXT wrote the following:

I have a central vacuum, but sometimes you just need to pick up some local debris and don't want to drag 30' of hose out and snake it to wherever you need it.. My other vac is a Bissell combo upright/canister vac that I bought in WalMart when I wasn't shopping for a vac. I spotted that candy apple red machine on the shelf and had to have it. I think it was about $150 USD http://www.acohardware.biz/713.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No.
Yes, since Dyson pays for it. Anybody that pays for time is worthy of that time.

Bingo!
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Sum Guy wrote:

One of my relatives has a Dyson and is happy with it (or was a few years ago the last time the subject came up). Said it was good for dog hair.
I have a lot of dog hair, but didn't want to part with that much money. I bought a Bissell vacuum a few years ago on sale at Target. It's theoretically designed for homes with pets, although I suspect that might be an advertising gimmick. However it does a great job and pulls out dirt and hair I never knew were there. They have a new one out now that is "multi-cyclonic". I'd like that but only because it sounds more high tech... no idea if it works any better. If I won the lottery, I might try a Dyson, but for now I'm happy with the Bissell.