What's the deal w/ steel shingles?

Page 3 of 3
Frugal Farmer writes:

OK, so were down from a lifetime, to 50 years for specific flaws.
The problem with grocery-list warranties is that they are hiding the likely problems. For example, aluminum siding would be warranted against "chipping", but the typical end-of-life problems are denting and warping.
It's like selling life insurance that only covers meteorite hits and shark attacks. We guarantee immortality! (Restrictions apply.)

Takes one to know one my sweet little bum buddy. You can Popp-in Fresh any time into any orifice. It will be Your pleasure. Thank you for playing.

Jeff, any chance finding out more details re the new steel roof in your state/region? i.e. type of shingles (tile, shake, slate,..), installer, manufacturer, total roof sq. ft., total cost?
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:04:25 -0400, <h> wrote:

- I can feel the flamethrowers warming up but stay with me for a second. all of you have your paypals and know how to use them. I dont. Yet. Look at this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Metalworks-SLATE-Shingles-Sequoia-Red_W0QQitemZ290171040714QQihZ019QQcategoryZ66945QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem the seller accepts paypal, but the item is covered only up to $200. What does that mean? Shingles for an average size roof would be $5000+. Also, look at the clever disclaimer "contact is needed for accessories and freight estimates" and that is when everybody finds out "cash in the bank first, buddy" - no credit card or paypal (my experience). Question for those of you who are ebay savvy: how do I purchase the whole assembly from this guy and make sure he plays by ebay rules?
-snip-

It means Paypal would leave you on the hook for most of your order.
Check with your credit card company and see what their coverage is if you use them to purchase through Paypal.
-snip-

I'm a bit of a gambler- but there is no way on God's green earth that I'd spend 10K with a guy who hasn't made a sale yet, and has only bought 10 things on Ebay in 2 years.
7 day returns? On shingles?
Jim [thanks for posting this though- I wasn't aware of metal shingles and there is a new roof in my future.]

No matter how you use your credit card (direct, PayPal, etc.), you're covered. I'm a merchant, and believe me, the credit card company sucks the money out of the merchant's account (chargeback) the moment a complaint is filed. Then it's the merchant's responsibility to prove the sale is valid and have the chargeback reversed. Merchant must show proof of delivery, signature from an in-person sale, etc. to get the money back. As I tell all my customers who are new to online buying, "Use your card and you're 100% covered".
That said, your seller only guarantees $200 by PayPal and only offers "merchandise credit" not a refund, so you might want to do some more checking. Also, a very small number of transactions/feedback for 3 years as a user. Has this person sold this type of item in the recent past? Check the feedback and contact previous customers and see if the seller is legit.
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 15:14:49 -0400, <h> wrote:

- I'll have to change banks or get another CC. I discussed this ebay (shingles) transactions w/ them and was told I was on my own if charged via paypal. anyway, the seller doesnt accept CC unless it is processed via paypal and then paypal covers only $200. Shingles are useless unless accompanied by matching accessories.

the seller is legit. I talked to Tamko sales dept. in Aug. and he is registered as a reseller in good standing - no complaints. That was his main theme when I refused to wire funds. the more he insisted on how good he is and how he needs to protect himself from unscrupulous customers the more I knew something's wrong w/ that deal. also, his company, CCA inc doesnt accept credit cards to keep their costs down - go figure...

Jim, thank you - first person that can see what I see. and this group sports almost 6000 registered, savvy, DIYers.

did check back in August = $200

thank you, I might be a dumb farmer but not dumb enough to part w/ $10K just like that....

it's a great thing and looks great. my advice so far: use the list of mfgs I posted at the beginning of this thread as your starting point. dont let the door-to-door shysters tell you it will cost you $600-$1400 SQ (installed). One weekend, two people, the roof is up. Same cost as asphalt shingles, except these last 50+ yrs and look better. this is the vortex vacuum cleaner all over again. and there'll be suckers like 'coffee' that posted here earlier that will think the going price is $900/SQ. it's not. the mfgs sell 1SQ for $100/SQ (approx.). to wholesalers. a # of folks (farmers) here got duped already...

You would be insane to pay this in advance.