What's the {..} deal w/ steel shingles?

No, you are wrong on that point as well. 30 or 40 years years ago you might have been right. Today, steel roofing is available with extremely EXTREMELY durable coatings. For that matter, I know personally of a STEEL 1925 Ford Model T that has been sitting outside almost it's entire life and still has the original paint on it. It's not even galvanized, as far as I know. Just painted.

Reply to
salty

What coating would that be?

And Roman pottery does too. Possibility is not likelihood.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

More ignorant nonsense from the usual suspect.

Reply to
salty

for example, the low-end shingles (i.e. tamko metalworks) uses Kynar500/Hylar5000 fluoropolymer (pvdf) covered by a 50yr warranty against environmental aging, fading, chalking, cracking, deterioration,..

Reply to
Frugal Farmer

OK, so were down from a lifetime, to 50 years for specific flaws.

The problem with grocery-list warranties is that they are hiding the likely problems. For example, aluminum siding would be warranted against "chipping", but the typical end-of-life problems are denting and warping.

It's like selling life insurance that only covers meteorite hits and shark attacks. We guarantee immortality! (Restrictions apply.)

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Takes one to know one my sweet little bum buddy. You can Popp-in Fresh any time into any orifice. It will be Your pleasure. Thank you for playing.

Reply to
janrom

...so what happened in this thread? Did it die of slow death (like many others) without closure? Anybody bought (or not) these steel shingles? I am interested, but not after reading about all the hassles with distributors and sellers. Any good experience buying steel shingles out there?

Reply to
Needles Robert

I installed steel shingles once. I couldn't figure out how to get the ridge cap on without bending the top row of shingles under my knees. I tried making a ridge saddle out of plywood to distribute my weight, which helped a bit, but you could still see dents from the ground. The owner was not happy. I was frustrated. It was not a good experience.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

most, if not all, steel roof mfgs claim you can walk on their steel roof/shingles - except the locks/seams.

Tiles, slates, shingles, shakes, etc. rest directly on the deck and shouldn't dent. Perhaps your steel shingles were the thin-steel Eurotile type?

Wouldn't it work installing the ridge cap at the same time as installing the 2 top rows (left/right side) of shingles? In other words, when you get to the top, you would be installing both top rows of shingles at the same time as installing the ridge cap so you wouldn't have to step on any of the top-row shingles?

The problem of course might be the fact that steel shingles installation starts at the bottom left corner of the roof so when you get to the top you get boxed-in and wouldn't be able to install the ridge cap until both top rows are installed.

Reply to
Frugal Farmer