What's the clearest caulk?

Hello all,

I need to caulk around some INTERIOR window trim to stop some drafts. What's the clearest caulk? The window trim is stained dark brown. Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
Jason

You want clear and you want paintable. Don't make it a nightmare for refinishing.

Lexel would be a reasonable choice.

around that web site - you'll enjoy it.

RicodJour

Tricky question. Silicone is clearest, but not the best choice, possibly, if your trim is wood. Paint/varnish/stain will not stick to silicone, so if you will be renewing finish, a paintable caulk would be best choice (same color as wood if the wood shows from outside). Are these old wood windows? If so, the problem is outside - need glazing. If the window is alum., then clear silicone on the outside is likely best choice.

Reply to
Norminn

Instead of clear how about tinting it to match the trim. My local paint store sells a caulk tinting kit. I choked on the price but if its your only option...

jmagerl

As clear as water. Available at most hardware stores:

Karl S

I have not found silicone to be clear at all. If you want opaque, maybe, but for clear you need something besides silicone.

Lexel is supposed to be clear and stay clear and is used for things such as glass block due to that fact. Every other type of clear that I have used will yellow with age.

If it were me, I would probably use Lexel, if clarity was the only concern.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Why not use a paintable caulk and then paint to match?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks for all your input guys.

Reply to
Jason

What have you decided to do?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Meat Plow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.alt.net:

I think I'll try the lexel in a hard to see spot first. If it's clear enough,I'll do all the areas. If it's not, I'll just use a paintable caulk.

thx

Reply to
Jason