What's the buzz?

I woke up this morning and heard a loud buzzing from one of my bedroom windows, like an insect was trapped there trying to get out. I opened the blackout shades (which more or less effectively seal the windows off from the room) and found at least half a dozen bees trying to get out through the glass. All the windows to the bedroom were shut and always are. There were two dead bees on the floor.
I went outside and saw several bees buzzing around the eves of the house, a yard or so away from the windows. I could also see numerous bees inside the window (the same ones I'd seen before), still trying to get out.
I had to leave for an appointment, so I closed my bedroom door so no bees would get out into the rest of the house, should they be able to get out from behind the blackout shades.
I came home five hours later. A few bees still buzzed around the outside house around the eves. But when I came inside and went in the bedroom, there were 27 dead bees on the windowsills and floor, and not one live one.
It's Southern California. The temperature outdoors was in the low sixties all day. Temperature in the bedroom was 73.
I can't find an opening that appears large enough for one of these bees, much less a slew of them, and even those openings are just light fixture cans. The windows are shut, not a crack showing. The windows haven't been opened in months.
How'd they get in, so many all at once? How'd they all die in the span of five hours? (I've never used a pesticide on the property, which is only two years old.) And do you think they're coming back? (Not the dead ones, of course, but their buddies.)
BTW, I'm presuming dead bee stingers still work, so I won't be picking them up by hand. Am I correct in that presumption?
Jim Beaver
Jim Beaver wrote:

They have a nest *inside* the wall framing. GOOGLE around.
Jim

e the

little. BTDT. If you are allergic, call an exterminator, otherwise buy a spray bomb and dose the outside of house near there, after dark when they are less active, and home to be killed. You wanna take care of this before the flowers bloom- honey leaking out of your walls is a mess to clean up. You have some small holes on the outside providing an entry, somewhere. Caulk or foam as needed, but make sure not to block any weep holes on the window trim.
aem sends....

What are weep holes?
Jim Beaver

hope they're not KILLER BEES!
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.spam says... :) How'd they get in, so many all at once? How'd they all die in the span of :) five hours? (I've never used a pesticide on the property, which is only two :) years old.) And do you think they're coming back? (Not the dead ones, of :) course, but their buddies.) :) :) They don't need much of an opening to get in. Recessed lighting will give enough of an entry. Hard to say what killed them, for the ones in the window sill maybe the built up heat, if they were between the shades and windows, was too hard on them. The insides of homes are actually too harsh an environment for many insects. As long as you have bees getting into the walls of the house you will continue to find bees inside. If the bees are actually dead then you should be ok picking them up. A barely alive bee may be a different story.
--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
Jim Beaver wrote:

They are probably getting in through the attic. If you can open it up, take a look. I think slight heat difference is too much for bees on a sustained basis.
Zombified bees can seriously decrease your property value. Better call Ghost Busters :)
--
Thank you,

Follow-up: with no action taken two days later, no sign of a single bee, alive or dead. If there's a hive inside the walls, wouldn't they continue showing up?
Jim Beaver
how cold is it outside? they will be scarce when its cold