What's the best way to wash and sanitise a carpet?

Other than replacing it, what's the best way to wash and sanitise a carpet? I mean those glued to the floor, not rugs, decorative little carpets and et cetera. I don't want to buy a machine; I already have a steamer and have plenty of sponges, either I'll use a steamer or some chemical in a sponge. What do you guys recommend?

Reply to
casioculture

What do you mean by steamer. A carpet shampoo-er often mislabeled steamer or something that shoots a jet of steam.

Don't use steam alone as all it will do is force the dirt further into the carpet. It may look cleaner at first but the dirt will cut the fibers and shorten the life of the carpet as well as come back up more quickly. Use the steam shooter to soften oily stains if you need to. Too much steam might release the glue from the backing.

If you want cheap, shampoo it by hand with a scrub brush and suck up the suds with a shop vac or use a "leave in" shampoo which you vacuum out after it dries.

Reply to
PipeDown