What's the best 120VAC wall outlet with two full power USB ports of at least 20 Watts?

Page 3 of 3

Are you talking to the people who died using faulty chargers? Because those were actual people who died, not some story anyone made up.

You are an idiot.
--
"The prize is the more I drink the blurrier you get"

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 14:04:22 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

I didn't mean to say that I had extension cords with 6 outlets in a row which also had USB ports. Those I have not seen. I just meant that I had plugged a wall wart with USB output into one of those 6-tuple extension cords in the basement, and another one next to the kitchen table.
On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 12:50:40 -0800 (PST), bob_villa

Not THAT is a nice solution.
On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 20:33:23 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Does "UL-approved" mean that the device will do all that it is advertised to do or does it just mean that the device will not harm a person or burn down a building?
I've always thought it was the latter.
CRNG wrote, on Fri, 09 Jan 2015 08:14:47 -0600:

The only reason for bringing up the fact that all the outlets are UL-approved was merely that the iOS group seemed to be crippled in that they are insanely worried about knockoffs in such as way as to cripple their minds.
They apparently can't conceive of anything but Apple products having high quality (which is a marketing coup, by Apple).
What they have no clue of is wall outlets, so it was a mistake in bringing them into the conversation since they're so stuck on a single manufacturer and can't conceive of multiple high-quality manufacturers existing.

You're lying, again.

No one ever said that you should be using Apple chargers.

This from the fool that is so completely pig ignorant that he doesn’t realise that any charger can fail.

No one ever said anything remotely like that last either.

nonsense.
nobody is stuck on a single manufacturer. there are plenty of non-apple products that are well made and work well with macs and ipads and iphones, some of which are even better than what apple makes.
however, there is also a lot of crap that *doesn't* work all that well and in the case of chargers, puts the user at risk and has killed more than one person. some of it is intentionally designed to look like apple products to fool the user. in some cases, it's tough to tell the counterfeit from the real thing.
On Fri, 9 Jan 2015 15:09:47 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Yep, That's the way Apple people are. It's all in the name/logo. I admit that their products are nice looking; but I've seen several people buy them and they are as much trouble setting them up as any non-Apple equipment I've seen.
I saw one person buy a new Apple "all-in-one" desk top last month. She took it home, and couldn't get it to work with her non-apple printer, and the email program wouldn't remember it's settings She called Apple and they said "Oh, we've had lots of problems with that (Apple) email program. You should download the latest OSX operating system which is 5.4 Gb. Try that on dialup since the all-in-one does not have an optical drive.
On 1/7/2015 3:40 PM, Danny D. wrote:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?pg_no2=2&c_id 9&cp_id907&cs_id90701&p_id95&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback
There are several "plug-in" multi-port chargers that offer full amps on each port only limited by total. They are great for traveling because they work on 120/240 v and the power cord unplugs from the charger so only need a cord with the correct wall plug on the end. Charger end is standard world wide.
Look at: (Amazon.com product link shortened) (Amazon.com product link shortened)S0Z9YEZ0YWCNSSXJXW
On 1/7/2015 3:40 PM, Danny D. wrote:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?pg_no2=2&c_id 9&cp_id907&cs_id90701&p_id95&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback
There are several "plug-in" multi-port chargers that offer full amps on each port only limited by total. They are great for traveling because they work on 120/240 v and the power cord unplugs from the charger so only need a cord with the correct wall plug on the end. Charger end is standard world wide.
Look at: (Amazon.com product link shortened) (Amazon.com product link shortened)S0Z9YEZ0YWCNSSXJXW
Zaidy036 wrote, on Sat, 10 Jan 2015 10:54:48 -0500:

I have found that a standard USA power strip does NOT get visibly damaged when used with dual-voltage chargers. There are no UL-approved dual 120V/240V power strips though, so the Apple people will be afraid to do anything like this. But it works.
1. You plug the USA spec power strip into the 240V outlet (with adapter). 2. You plug all the dual-voltage USB chargers into that power strip.
I find this is more convenient than bringing multiple mechanical power-plug adapters, but, I do recognize that the Apple people will be aghast at the fact that the setup is decidedly not pre-approved by Apple.
On 2015.01.11 08:02 , Danny D. wrote:

Done that. It destroyed the strip's surge protector with a bang and loud puff of smoke. Opened up the strip, removed the damaged surge protector parts, then it worked fine.
--
"Your net worth to the world is usually
determined by what remains after your
Zaidy036 wrote, on Sat, 10 Jan 2015 11:15:12 -0500:

Thanks for pointing that adapter out. Unfortunately, it only puts out 2.1Amps total, but, at least it clearly states that: "plus a pair of USB charger ports with a total capacity of 2.1 amps."
So, I give them credit for being upfront (unlike the Hubbell).

The first is 10 Amps total, for six USB ports, with a maximum of 2.1Amps per port when fewer than 10 Amps are being used. Again, unlike the Hubbell, I give them credit for stating that clearly, which is nice to see with truth in advertising.
The second is also 10 Amps total, for all five ports, or 2.1 Amps per port. So, for the $20 that it costs, it's not a bad deal, if it's well made, and if works as specified. In fact, it's a nice travel USB charger, if it can also handle 240V/50Hz power (but it doesn't say).
Thanks for pointing that one out. It seems to be a keeper.
Alan Browne wrote, on Sun, 11 Jan 2015 09:35:40 -0500:

Most of the MOV's in your basic surge protector are rated to something like 400VAC to 600 VAC standard operation, IIRC.
(We could look this up, but I didn't.)
On 2015.01.11 09:37 , Danny D. wrote:

Just saying what happened. Don't know what sort of protector it was.
Further, the surge protector is there to absorb spikes, not continued tension - that may have something to do with it.