What's Stealing Squirrel Bait? (Have-a-heart)

Page 2 of 2
Hmm. New variant? Cross breed between a 'coon and a Mexican? I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Would that pick crops, steal them, or what?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If you can placde the trap where you can watch it, you'll know what's going on. I noticed the squirrels would reach in from the side of my Hav-A-Hart trap. I wired a square (about 5x5") of hardware cloth on both sides making it Squirrel Soup Time!
I like to use a cracker with peanut butter, using fine wire to secure the bait to the trip plate. Check the trap often. Birds can eat the bait without tripping the trap.
I removed "about" 150 squirrels over a 3 year period. That trap requires a lot of screwing around with to get it just touchy enough to catch squirrels.
You need to play with the setting latch so that it's just barely holding the doors open. Use a spray on it to make it even slicker.
I use corn and drop just a few grains around the trap and then I stick a few grains to the lever with peanut butter. Make it just a little sticky.
Hot melt glue also works pretty well.
You will know when you have it right when you can barely get it set with out it going off in your hands.
I was getting two a day during one summer and had to cart the damn things away but I did clear the neighborhood of the squirrels.
Remember...they have to be moved several miles away to really clear them out.
frank1492 wrote:

And dropped off a bridge into water?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

chipmunks:
http://st-elmo-colorado.com/chipmunks7.jpg
Where do you live (state)?
Oren wrote:

How cute, don't you just want to hug it? *snicker*
TDD
On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 18:55:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Right around the neck, REAL tight. Little buggars ate 150 bucks worth of wiring out of the wife's Mistyque, plus the hood pad (last price, when available was $500)
ANTS believe it or not have cleared many of my traps