What's "scuff sanding"?

Instructions that came with a primed steel door say to scuff sand before painting. What's the best material to use for that? I'll just be doing it by hand, no electric sander. Thanks...
al wrote:

That's it -- just a light sanding to "scuff up" the surface slightly to provide a good surface for bonding...80 to 100 grit good choice.

I'd use 240 grit,80-100 will leave visible scratches,may even take off the primer.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Correct.
A clean, new scotch brite pad works beautifully for "scuffing"
Kate O|||||||O

Correct.

Which one? What color pad? I'm guessing that the super fine would be best/safest. Thanks...

Don't the packages LIST the grit equivalent?
Or like some sandpapers,say coarse/medium/fine.(80-100/180-240/400-600)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"al" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

and doesn't leave steel fibers to screw up your finish like steel wool does.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Jim Yanik" < snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov> wrote in message

For wood,especially;finishes will show RUST spots from the steel fibers. If you're gonna do it,do it right. The first time.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I find a scotch-brite pad or similar does great for things like this.
aem sends...
Steel wool, and a good tack cloth.