What's just over 19 inches?

I got a new, left-handed tape measure for my birthday. It's got the usual markings highlighting that 97" is 8'1", that studs are centered on 16" multiples, etc. But at multiples of approximately 19 3/16" there's a diamond. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what that is and I haven't come up with it. Does someone here know? TIA.
Chris
"Many tape measures also have a small black diamond every 19.2". The diamond is an alternative OC spacing for framing materials. The diamond OC spacing matches 16" OC spacing every 8' so it is compatible with most sheet goods (plywood, paneling, etc.). The benefit of using the diamond spacing is that you save one joist or stud every 8'. Always check with your local building authority before using an alternate spacing."
"Christopher Nelson" < snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com

Christopher Nelson wrote:

The answer is here: http://tinyurl.com/242gwh

Not very helpful. It comes to 5 per sheet if you count the two end ones, 4 if you count just one end. Since most trusses use 24" spacing (5 or 4 depending on how you count) I can't see what purpose 19.2 serves.
Same as on other sheet goods. 4' x 8' will only work on the first or last stud for a join. and won't work at all for 10' or 12' or 14' long goods (sheetrock). Also won't work at all for any 4' wide goods layed vertical.
Harry K
I think Robin Willians mentioned this on his show, Mork calling Orson! Come in, Orson! That marking helps repair his space craft.
Probably an Egyptian measure, a cubit of furlong, or catslength, or something.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Christopher Nelson" < snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:20:19 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe something on the lines of a "fir piece up the holler."

Metric -- ir's half a meter.
Check at http://www.sciencemadesimple.com/length_conversion.php

Nope... 48.7cm. Almost half an inch short of 50cm.
Just not so. Not much if anything to do with metric, just another center to center increment that modules with 8'.
96 / 6 = 16.00 o.c. 96 / 5 = 19.20 o.c. 96 / 4 = 24.00 o.c.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

<snip>
But what for? The only module that works for 19.2 is at the 8' mark. Nothing shorter or longer in standard inch measure makes a join at any of the other stud 19.2 placements. Totally useless in my opinion.
Harry K

Because the only place you'll probably see it used is floor joists where the sheathing is 8' long.
Tim

I wouldn't care for a sub floor layed without staggering the joints and a stagger wouldn't be possible without cutting panels.....hmm. Cut 19.2 off the start of the 2nd panel?...should work.
Harry K

Try that again. "cut 19.2 off a panel to start the second row should work"...Nope, it won't fall on a joist at the end.
Harry K

Just like some people have been saying, 19.2 is an alternate layout. I've only used it on floor trusses. Yes, you have to cut 38.4" off of some sheets to achieve a staggered pattern, but you always have to cut sheets to stagger them, unless you have some 4x4 sheets. The fact that you don't have a joist at 12' doesn't really affect the rockers. Layout is pulled from the outside of the wall for the floor plywood, but would have to be pulled from the inside of the wall for sheetrock, so there isn't a joist at 12' anyway. On very large rooms there might be a few more cuts, but sheetrock is cheap and easy to cut.

A bathtub is 5 feet long... Could be marked for bathroom layouts. Doesn't cement board come in 5 foot?
Noozer wrote:

in an area where local code or anticipated snow load requires closer than 24 oc trusses or rafters. Be a damn PITA to have to clip every sheet of deck board to land on a rafter.
aem sends...
Your untrimmed toe nails.
3-D Services, LLC had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/What-s-just-over-19-inches-261814-.htm :
------------------------------------- Christopher Nelson wrote:

The 193/16" mark is for engineered lumber, such as glue-lams, versa-lam etc., for flooring joists and trusses. Engineers design these trusses and joists to be stronger than traditional milled lumber, therefore requiring fewer to support an 8' span. The fact that sub-flooring and roof decking comes in 8' spans should explain the diamonds @ 19.2" intervals. More cost for engineered lumber vs traditional lumber, but fewer members to install, and little to no risk of warping, or cracking from stress.
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 342965 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
3-D Services, LLC wrote:

http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/What-s-just-over-19-inches-261814-.htm
The diamond has been around on tape measures a LOT longer than engineered lumber. That has nothing to do with it. The diamond marks are for laying out 5 supports per 8' sheet of material.
steve