What's involved with a chimney liner?

Hi all,

I'm going to install a wood furnace in my basement, and there's already a fireplace in there that goes into a tile teracota chimney. Its needs a liner, as some of the tiles have moved. A few questions:

  1. Am I right in thinking I don't need an insulated pipe, just a tube?
  2. Is the tube held in the middle of the chimney or just leans where it wants to? If the former, how is it held in the middle if you can't get down there to install something?
  3. Can a typical DIY person do this or is it somewhat involved? If so, what's a typical cost. Chimney is around 30' length from basement to top.

Thanks a lot!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Because of a chimney fire, I had a stainless liner put in about 10 years ago. I know the insurance company was billed for 30 ft. At the time, it was a $1,500 job (glad I had $100 deductible!). I can't remember all the steps when the mason put it in, but I know it involved a poured (from bags) & compacted material around the liner.

On a side note, I wouldn't trust my work since it involves making sure no flames etc. which might enter along side the liner.

Reply to
josh