What's involved in adding a 240V outlet?

Page 2 of 2
On 11/12/13 04:46 pm, jamesgang wrote:

The cable is labeled "COLUMBIA 10/3 TYPE NM 600V (UL)". I haven't opened up either end yet -- panel or outlet box -- to see whether there is a separate ground conductor. so for now, at least, I'm going to leave everything the way it is.
Perce
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:11:14 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

If there is no "WG on there some place it may only be 3 insulated wires. There are legal ways to bring a ground to it tho.
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:11:14 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

conductor - usually a bare copper, for ground.. Is it a tarred paper/fabric sheath or plastic? If it is plastic, 99.999% it has a ground.
On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:11:14 PM UTC-5, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

f a conduit.

It quite unusual to find wire without a ground in it these days. It's most likely that your 10/3 also has a bare ground wire in it.
In present code you can use 3 lead wire as two hots and a ground but you ca n't use it as 2 hots and a neutral. You can't connect the ground and neutr al together anywhere outside the main box nor can you use one in place of a nother. The ground can not intentionally carry current.
On 11/10/2013 05:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yes, it's part of the new ObamaPlug initiative. Change you can believe in!
And yes, originally they said people could keep their 3-wire plugs but it turns out that you must upgrade to an approved 4-wire plug....or pay a hefty fine every year.
On 11/11/2013 5:02 AM, Mike Hunt-Hertz wrote:

And a new, heavily armed Drier Indentification Program Safety Homeland Initiative Taskforce has been founded, a branch of the IRS tax collection arm. They have bright yellow coats, with the acronym in tall bold black letters on the backs of the coats.
"If, uh, you like, uh, your drier plug.... you can KEEP IT!!"
--
.
Christopher A. Young
bob wrote:

If you are going to hire an electrician he will answer all your questions. I can't see your panel or house from here, LOL!
The electric panel is in the garage and it has about a dozen spare slots I use pressure washer mainly for washing the concrete driveway outside the garage.
I remember reading outlets in garage (considered a wet location) need to be GFCI protected. Is there such thing as 240V GFCI outlet, or does one just install two regular GFCI breakers in the panel to protect one 240V GFCI outlet?
Thanks for the responses.

Only 120v 15 and 20a receptacles.
OTOH a 240v pressure cleaner has a GFCI in the cord.
On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:17:13 AM UTC-5, bob wrote:

There are larger double gang gfci breakers. You probably are supposed to h ave one but I suspect a lot of people do not. They tend to be around $100 once you go above 20 amp for double gfci breakers unfortunately. Since it' s in the garage I would recommend running #10 3 conductor with a ground. Y ou do not have to connect the neutral at the outlet if you do not need it f or your pressure washer. But if you ever have anything else 220 then you w ill have the neutral if you need it. If your pressure washer has a 4 prong plug then you will be able to connect the neutral to the new socket.