What's involved in? 220 volt socket

Page 2 of 2
On 11/14/2013 12:19 PM, philo wrote:

Well, maybe you didn't see it? I do that all the time. Stuff in my house, and I find it later.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2013 12:33 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Well, all I can say is that as soon as I find I am in error, I admit it.
On 11/14/2013 1:37 PM, philo wrote:

ain't tellin.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2013 12:52 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

When I was still working I found out that if I was wrong and admitted it at once, I never got in trouble. Many times people were too surprised to say much.
On 11/14/2013 2:13 PM, philo wrote:

I've had a few similar experiences.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:19:08 PM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

I give you credit for correcting the error of your ways. Many here won't admit they are ever wrong.
On 11/14/2013 03:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I make plenty of mistakes, might as well fess up asap.
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:28:35 AM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

Then you don't get around much, at least in the USA. Any new electric dryer, outlet, for example, is 4 prong. Two hots, neutral, ground. It's required by code. You can hook up a dryer, stove, etc to an older 3 wire outlet, but all the new ones for decades now are 4 wire.

Pretty much every modern Dryer and Oven outlet will be four prong (L1, L2, N, G).
They used to be three (L1, L2, N). Grounding requirements were added sometime in the 60's or 70's, IIRC.
All Single-phase 240VAC.
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 11:16:58 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I think you have it backwards. Grounding was required first. In the 1940's it was permitted to use the ground as both the eqpt ground and the neutral. That was later changed to require a seperate neutral and ground in the 90's. Hence, as you say, today 4 wire outlets are common. All new appliances are made with 4 wire connections and that is the preferred method of connection. If you have an older existing 3 wire, it's permissible to follow the appliance manufacturers instructions and connect it as 3 wire. Most folks understand this, except KRW here who spent 10 profanity laced posts a few month ago, denying it was so, while digging his hole ever deeper.
On 11/14/2013 11:35 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I remember three prong range and dryer, and four prong came out later. What came first, the neutral or the chicken or the ground or the egg?
My comment is grounded in fact, but I remain neutral, as I egg you on, chicken that I am.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yes.
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:35:07 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Actually 250.60 said the "grounded conductor" before 1996 so it was the neutral and with one exception (SE cable) it needed to be a white insulated wire. That is why you saw 10/3 romex. If the 10/3 had a ground, it was either connected to the box or simply cut off.

On 11/14/2013 06:42 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I have a friend who lived in a small converted warehouse, it had three phase wiring for the elevator. Not your typical home by any means !

phase - each unit only sees the single phase service.

Nothing said about 3 phase

Nope. Code today REQUIRES 4 wire - L1, L2, Neutral, and safety ground.