What's involved in? 220 volt socket

I lost the thread, but someone still confused. Here is the original text, we're commenting:

On 11/11/2013 12:00 AM, Bob wrote: > On 11/10/2013 19:38, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > >> You just need one of these. A 4 wire dryer cord with a 3 wire >> receptacle on it. >> >>

> > Be aware that such an adapter violates the separation of the protective > ground and neutral for a 120/240 volt appliance. If your pressure > washer is a "pure" 240 volt device (not needing a neutral, just two hots > and a protective ground), you can use an adapter with a 14-30 plug and > 6-30 receptacle. >

So, G provides a cord that allows one to plug a THREE wire device into a FOUR wire socket. That violates separation of powers.... how?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase outlets.

However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of the hot terminals is simply not used.

In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three terminals only. Two for power and one ground.

(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a neutral.)

Reply to
philo

Dryers and ranges are considered to have both 120 and 240v loads so you need 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. During WWII they jammed through an exception allowing the neutral to also be used as the ground to save copper. In the 1996 code cycle CMP 5 finally accepted Phil Simmon's assertion that the war was over and they should dump this exemption for new circuits. (existing can stay)

Reply to
gfretwell

In this case, the adapter that G Fretwell made, was for a 220-1 device, connecting it to a 220-1 socket. The device does not have a neutral, the socket does. As such, there is no need for people to storm about separate neutrals, one is not needed. I know it's futile to ask a Usenet thread to stay on topic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what I know, three phase is typically found in 208 or 440 volt circuits. Most homes are wired for 220-1 or 240-1, depending who you talk with. Does anyone know of a home (other than a home machine shop) that is wired for three phase?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No. And AFAIK, the thread had nothing to do with

3 phase at all. It was just adding about adding a 240V receptacle to a typical house with 240/120V service.
Reply to
trader4

The original thread was adding a 220 socket in the garage, for a pressure washer. G Fretwell sent a nice pic of his adaptor, which allows him to run washer off a dryer socket.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a friend who lived in a small converted warehouse, it had three phase wiring for the elevator. Not your typical home by any means !

Reply to
philo

Exactly. And since:

A - 3 phase was not mentioned.

B - Only a miniscule percentage of homes are going to have 3 phase

Why is someone talking about 3 phase?

Reply to
trader4

I know the thread had nothing to do with three phase, but three phase will always have a four prong outlet. I have never seen a four prong /single phase/ outlet in my life. (Not saying such a thing could not exist)

Reply to
philo

Christmas is early this year, my friend.

My treat to you, because you're such a good person.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Then you don't get around much, at least in the USA. Any new electric dryer, outlet, for example, is 4 prong. Two hots, neutral, ground. It's required by code. You can hook up a dryer, stove, etc to an older 3 wire outlet, but all the new ones for decades now are 4 wire.

Reply to
trader4

My house was originally wired in 1932, that photo you showed me is a bit too new for me to comprehend!

Reply to
philo

nd-plug-to-a-3-prong

If your experience is limited to what existed in 1932 era code, then perhaps you should refrain from giving advice to folks asking about installing a 240V receptacle today.

Reply to
trader4

Pretty much every modern Dryer and Oven outlet will be four prong (L1, L2, N, G).

They used to be three (L1, L2, N). Grounding requirements were added sometime in the 60's or 70's, IIRC.

All Single-phase 240VAC.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I think you have it backwards. Grounding was required first. In the 1940's it was permitted to use the ground as both the eqpt ground and the neutral. That was later changed to require a seperate neutral and ground in the 90's. Hence, as you say, today 4 wire outlets are common. All new appliances are made with 4 wire connections and that is the preferred method of connection. If you have an older existing 3 wire, it's permissible to follow the appliance manufacturers instructions and connect it as 3 wire. Most folks understand this, except KRW here who spent 10 profanity laced posts a few month ago, denying it was so, while digging his hole ever deeper.

Reply to
trader4

Did you know that nutty Spaniard? Columbus sailed the ocean blue, in nineteen hundred thirty two, yo ho! yo ho!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why that? Home Groaners Shrub posters reply to

1932 questions. Like the guy who wanted to know if he could run his vibro massage weight loss

off his knob and tube wiring.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I remember three prong range and dryer, and four prong came out later. What came first, the neutral or the chicken or the ground or the egg?

My comment is grounded in fact, but I remain neutral, as I egg you on, chicken that I am.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope, I was a Senior Service Engineer with 38 years of experience...recently retired. I worked in an industrial environment and am familiar with AC power distribution.

However , regulations vary from state to state in Wisconsin it's not necessarily done the way it's done elsewhere, that's why the local electrical code needs to be consulted.

Reply to
philo