What's involved in? 220 volt socket

Page 1 of 2
I lost the thread, but someone still confused. Here is the original text, we're commenting:
On 11/11/2013 12:00 AM, Bob wrote: > On 11/10/2013 19:38, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > >> You just need one of these. A 4 wire dryer cord with a 3 wire >> receptacle on it. >> >>
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/dryer%20adapter.jpg
> > Be aware that such an adapter violates the separation of the protective > ground and neutral for a 120/240 volt appliance. If your pressure > washer is a "pure" 240 volt device (not needing a neutral, just two hots > and a protective ground), you can use an adapter with a 14-30 plug and > 6-30 receptacle. >
So, G provides a cord that allows one to plug a THREE wire device into a FOUR wire socket. That violates separation of powers.... how?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/13/2013 03:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

A lot of confusion here as houses (generally) do not have three phase outlets.
However there is no problem having a single phase device connected to a three phase outlet providing the current rating is not exceeded. One of the hot terminals is simply not used.
In one's house though, both a 115 and a 230 volt outlet would have three terminals only. Two for power and one ground.
(It's irrelevant that with 115 v one of the power wires is also a neutral.)

Dryers and ranges are considered to have both 120 and 240v loads so you need 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. During WWII they jammed through an exception allowing the neutral to also be used as the ground to save copper. In the 1996 code cycle CMP 5 finally accepted Phil Simmon's assertion that the war was over and they should dump this exemption for new circuits. (existing can stay)
On 11/13/2013 11:39 PM, philo wrote:

In this case, the adapter that G Fretwell made, was for a 220-1 device, connecting it to a 220-1 socket. The device does not have a neutral, the socket does. As such, there is no need for people to storm about separate neutrals, one is not needed. I know it's futile to ask a Usenet thread to stay on topic.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/13/2013 11:39 PM, philo wrote:

From what I know, three phase is typically found in 208 or 440 volt circuits. Most homes are wired for 220-1 or 240-1, depending who you talk with. Does anyone know of a home (other than a home machine shop) that is wired for three phase?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:42:43 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No. And AFAIK, the thread had nothing to do with 3 phase at all. It was just adding about adding a 240V receptacle to a typical house with 240/120V service.
On 11/14/2013 8:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The original thread was adding a 220 socket in the garage, for a pressure washer. G Fretwell sent a nice pic of his adaptor, which allows him to run washer off a dryer socket.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:56:58 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Exactly. And since:
A - 3 phase was not mentioned.
B - Only a miniscule percentage of homes are going to have 3 phase
Why is someone talking about 3 phase?
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:28:13 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Lack of reading comprehension.
On 11/14/2013 07:24 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I know the thread had nothing to do with three phase, but three phase will always have a four prong outlet. I have never seen a four prong /single phase/ outlet in my life. (Not saying such a thing could not exist)
On 11/14/2013 9:28 AM, philo wrote:

Christmas is early this year, my friend. http://wilderness.hubpages.com/hub/how-to-change-a-4-prong-dryer-cord-and-plug-to-a-3-prong
My treat to you, because you're such a good person.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2013 08:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My house was originally wired in 1932, that photo you showed me is a bit too new for me to comprehend!
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 10:22:52 AM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

nd-plug-to-a-3-prong

If your experience is limited to what existed in 1932 era code, then perhaps you should refrain from giving advice to folks asking about installing a 240V receptacle today.
On 11/14/2013 10:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Why that? Home Groaners Shrub posters reply to 1932 questions. Like the guy who wanted to know if he could run his vibro massage weight loss
http://atomictoasters.com/2012/04/what-ever-became-of-vibrating-belt-weight-loss-machines/
off his knob and tube wiring.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2013 09:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Nope, I was a Senior Service Engineer with 38 years of experience...recently retired. I worked in an industrial environment and am familiar with AC power distribution.
However , regulations vary from state to state in Wisconsin it's not necessarily done the way it's done elsewhere, that's why the local electrical code needs to be consulted.
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:07:56 PM UTC-5, philo  wrote:

it

Most states and municipalities follow the NEC, with some exceptions. I doubt requiring a 4 wire connection for new construction 240V dryer, stoves, etc is one of them. And there are millions of 4 wire connections out there, the fact that you don't know that and instead are diverting off into 3 phase, means that you shouldn't be giving advice.
Go to any appliance manufacturer and read the install manuals and it will tell you that the 240V dryer, stove etc. should be hooked up to 4 w ires, if available. It's not unusual, it's the preferred, code compliant way today. If you have a cite for Wisconsin code that says otherwise, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.
On 11/14/2013 12:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yep, you are right...an item such as an oven or drier would require a neutral as there are 115v controls, lights etc.
On 11/14/2013 10:22 AM, philo wrote:

Did you know that nutty Spaniard? Columbus sailed the ocean blue, in nineteen hundred thirty two, yo ho! yo ho!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/14/2013 10:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

here is one for you
On September 25, 1513 Balboa discovered the Pacific Ocean.
The Australians, who had been facing inland for millenia, turned around in surprise, and fished.
On that day, the Japanese, who had been facing inland for millenia, turned around and said: I'll be damned, a lake!
On that day, the Native Americans who had been camped on its shores, Turned around and said: Funny we never looked in that direction before, things have been a bit hectic lately.
History lessons were made. Reminds me of the time in 1492 when, the Bahamians discovered, Columbus in their midst, Turned around and told each other: We're fucked.
Though we have a gas range, there used to be an electric one and it is a 4 wire outlet.
The two hots and neutral are all # 8 plus a safety ground that looks like #14, I should have looked first before I said I never saw such a setup.