What's a square?

Reading some of the posts here about roofing, I've come across a term with which I'm unfamiliar, "square," in reference to a measurement of the area being roofed. Since I am about to finance a major remodel of my house, knowing what this term actually measures might come in handy.
Thank you, and please continue to hang loosely.
-chib
--
(email: change out to in)

chibiabos wrote:

100 square feet (i.e., 10' x 10')

The term is used for siding also. It is 100 square feet. Shingles will often be noted on a bundles with something like 4 bundles per square or 3 bundles per square. If it takes four bundles per square it is a heavier shingle than the 3 per. Ed
<< If it takes four bundles per square it is a heavier shingle than the 3 per. >>
Did you mean the four bundles are smaller shingles? Does that follow that they are heavier? Haven't bought any lately, might be out of touch here.
Joe
That caught me by surprise too, but it makes sense, if they try to keep the bundles under a certain weight. The heavier the individual shingle, the fewer shingles in a bundle, and thus the more bundles.
Joe Bobst wrote:

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

So do they set the weight of a bundle at a specific amount or do they just vary it as convenient?

I don't know how it is determined. Probably has something to do with the weight that a worker can safely carry up a ladder. Some supply houses do roof deliveries, but many roofers still take them up a bundle at a time on their shoulder. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking: Somebody likely needs to lug those squares up a ladder, you can only let them weigh so much.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I would imagine they try to keep them under 4o pounds. Which brings up another point. Of the commonly available ladders, many have a capacity of only 200 pounds, some about 230 pounds, and the more expensive have a capacity of only 250 pounds. All of which says to me that they are pretty poor or else they have a high safety factor. What does a 200 or even a 220 pounder carry up a ladder? Ladder capacities seem pretty low considering that even young people in good shape (excellent shape?) have weights of 180 to 220 pounds.
chibiabos wrote:

100 square feet... i have 26 squares on my roof, the roof is 2600 square feet in coverage.....
"chibiabos" wrote in message news:

4 equal sides = a square
Jimmy Thome wrote:

and 4 right angles.
Jay wrote:

Actually, only two are required.

sufficient to establish that the figure is square.
But that could only occur if the 2 diagonals are equal.

This is WHY top-posting is WRONG, dickhead...
Giznawz wrote:

But hey, it's YOUR internet, you post wherever the hell you want to, right?

CLUE FACTORY CALLING!!!!!!!!!! HELLLLOOOOOO!!!!!!!!??? --- YOUR contribution goes HERE ---
--
If u want the races for free,

Huh?
GIven that all four sides are equal, knowing that *one* of the angles is a right angle is *all* you need to prove that the figure is a square. You don't need to know anything about the diagonals; in fact, knowing that one of the angles is a right angle is sufficient to prove that the diagonals are equal as well.

wrote in message
Sorry, that was intended as a joke, not a correction.
I was thinking about what are some of the different ways of describing, or defining a square... all of which mean essentially the same thing. You can't have one way without having all of the others. Appologies about any confusion.
Giz