what's a skilled helper worth?

I'm in an area where every worker that's ever pounded in a nail with a hammer thinks he's a "good carpenter". Three quarters of the time they don't have a clue how to cut a board square.

So, what will a skilled helper cost me? Qualifications I'm interested in include self-starter, moderate skills to include carpentry, plumbing, electrical with some roofing thrown in for good measure. Working environment is a small metro area with extended suburbs with about 150,000 people.

Thoughts??

Reply to
Elias D

Good luck in even finding somebody w/ all those qualifications who's looking for work--if he's got that, he's already employed.

W/ nothing to go on as for where this small metro area might be, no real clue on what your local wage scale might look like. Here, a rural,

Reply to
dpb

My thought is that your subject line is wrong. If he is skilled, he is not a helper. What you want is more of an apprentice type person that has some knowledge and is willing to learn. A skilled self starter as you describe has self started himself into a $25+ job, but that talented apprentice may be had for $15 if you can find one.

FWIW, I have two people working for me right now that are skilled as you describe. They charge me $40 an hour shop rate and are well worth it. Don't let rates be the only factor either. I just got rid of an electrician that was $45 and kept the $60 one because he is cheaper.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Go visit local vo-ed center (if your town has one) and/or your local Habitat for Humanity office. Explain your situation. Both places love to help their alumni find gainful employment, and actually have an idea if the people they refer know which end is up.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I found one, but about $2000 of my tools are gone, he is still here, denying anything, but I saw my tool box in his truck. Have fun......Better yet, forget about it.

Reply to
ransley

What're you doing?

I pay $100/day for better than that (cash, and minimum) and food and beer for help with small/ish jobs. My guys are *smart*, and experienced, but don't have much more than basic tools.

If we were doing a major rehab or new, it would have to be more, maybe $150.

Roofing? Minor repairs or new, maybe. Guys with more skills don't have to do real roofing. A tear-off, I'd have to farm that out.

Been there, dood that, not looking for the back azimuth. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman