What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools left outside

Page 5 of 5
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:07:43 +0000 nestork wrote:

I did notice that the chrome plated tools fared best of all the tools.
The rougher metal tools fared worst (pry bars & saws).
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:07:43 +0000 nestork wrote:

I have hard water (white calcium carbonate) at something like 15ppm or so.
Do you think the naval jelly will work on that on the shower glass without etching?
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:03:08 -0800 Oren wrote:

True. And, that's even cheaper stuff (at Costco anyway).
Phosphoric acid won't harm glass.
Both ceramic wall tiles and toilet bowls are "glazed". My understanding is that they're fired once to set the clay, and then painted with a glazing paint and fired again so that paint melts and forms a glass surface on the hard clay. So, there's a thin film of glass on the surface of both ceramic wall tiles and a toilet bowl. Phosphoric acid doesn't harm that glass, so I don't see why it would do any harm to your glass shower doors or glass shower surround.
Some shower door frames are made of aluminum. If yours are aluminum, I'd test the phosphoric acid on it in an inconspicuous spot first.
(Oven cleaner (aka: sodium hydroxide or NaOH or "lye") will dissolve aluminum.)
--
nestork

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:02:05 +0000, Danny D. wrote:
UPDATE: I'm finding more and more uses for the phosphoric acid you guys suggested!

After ten minutes, I see that buttery white stuff again.

The unknown white lard 'seems' to be where the rust was heaviest.

the white crud is from letting the pink slime dry. you have to really scrub it off, then it's gone for good.