What's a good top-loading washer?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 09:08:50 -0700, Guv Bob

I responded but didn't see my post go by so here goes, ....again:
From exprerience Maytag 'used to be' good. but alas have gone the way of marketeers controlling what you get, very 'thin' construction. I once tried to get a transmission replacement for an older unit that actually had a gentle cycle my wife loved. No, not available, because they went to the combined tub rotation and paddle movement that beat and scratched the clothes to death. Ok, so how much to get the old transmission? "No." I said how much? "No." I said pretend I'm a rich Sheik, how much to start your line for one? $1 million? $2 million? "No. won't do it." Also, for several weeks I couldn't even reach anyone there, until I gave the zip code 90210 [my brilliant wife's suggestion!], and then got a call back instantly from the President, who was the one who gave me all those, "No's". I'm still steamed at Maytag! [used to have relatives who worked there, too].
This is an incredible product: Speed Queen AWN412. 3.3 cu. ft. White Top Load Washer Number1Direct 888 768 1710 9-5:30
The thing is built like a battleship! ergonomic, easy load and remove, AND all mechanical dial so you 'control' what it's doing, including NOT emptying your water out if you restart in order to get a bit of extra wash time, like ALL the new machines now do.