What's a good top-loading washer?

I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in

2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

Reply to
Guv Bob

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

I like my LG.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I like our Maytag Centennial but it is only maybe 3 years old so who knows what might develop.

Reply to
Frank

I bought a Maytag in 1988 and it still works perfectly and has never needed any repair or maintenance.

It's one of those "no frills" units. I seriously doubt if anyone needs all those bells and whistles.

I paid about $400 for it and see that Home Depot has them at about the same price.

Reply to
philo

"Guv Bob" wrote in news:YsOdnVr_l9HYj5PJnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

New Maytags are junk. Junked last one after extended warranty expired because it had so many major repairs...that's right, it was like 3-5 yrs.

Bought a Speed Queen commercial top loader. Same machine as many laundromats only without the coin box. No user electronic controls. No electronic display at all. Mechanical dials with only basic settings. Been working flawless and cleans better than that stupid microprocessing, water saving, eco-f****ng POS Maytag.

Won't find at appliance chains. Go to local appliance store/repair business. Pricing is not low because it has no bells and whistles but you don't want to buy bells & whistles. You want to buy a machine that cleans and does not need an organ transplant 6-12 months. Bells & whistles money is put into, yes, the machine and it's purpose - to wash. What a concept.

Reply to
Red Green
20 years ago, I had to decide who's washing machines to buy because I needed three pair of coin operated washers and dryers.

Just about everyone I talked to said that Maytag top loading washers were the easiest to fix. When I looked at one, I was amazed at how much room there was under the tub...everything was easily accessible.

At the time, I also saw Speed Queen, which is the Canadian version of Amana, and it had plenty of space and good accessibility too, but no one I talked to really knew much about them.

I ended up buying Maytag, and their machines have stood up well for me. I don't know if Red Green had a top loading washer or not, but if so, I expect his experience with Maytag wasn't typical. I don't know if Maytag still makes their top loading washers anymore.

I know nothing about front loading washers.

Why not just phone up the places listed under Appliance, Major - Repair in your yellow pages, and find out which top loading washer the repairmen think is be best built and easiest to fix?

Reply to
nestork

From exprerience Maytag 'used to be' good. but alas have gone the way of marketeers controlling what you get, very 'thin' construction. I once tried to get a transmission replacement for an older unit that actually had a gentle cycle my wife loved. No, not available, because they went to the combined tub rotation and paddle movement that beat and scratched the clothes to death. Ok, so how much to get the old transmission? "No." I said how much? "No." I said pretend I'm a rich Sheik, how much to start your line for one? $1 million? $2 million? "No. won't do it." Also, for several weeks I couldn't even reach anyone there, until I gave the zip code 90210 [my brilliant wife's suggestion!], and then got a call back instantly from the President, who was the one who gave me all those, "No's". I'm still steamed at Maytag! [used to have relatives who worked there, too].

This is an incredible product: Speed Queen AWN412. 3.3 cu. ft. White Top Load Washer Number1Direct 888 768 1710 9-5:30

The thing is built like a battleship! ergonomic, easy load and remove, AND all mechanical dial so you 'control' what it's doing, including NOT emptying your water out if you restart in order to get a bit of extra wash time, like ALL the new machines now do.

Reply to
RobertMacy

water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

Thanks Philo. Do you know if the current model is like yours? Don't go to a lot of trouble - just trying to avoid any more "new improved" units.

Reply to
Guv Bob
2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).

*******

Thanks for all the great info!! Keep 'em coming! Will use this crappy box of bolts for a week or so until I can check around. It's a good thing I'm out of shotgun shells.

Reply to
Guv Bob

LOL so much for my memory.

I decided that maybe I should have a look at my machine. I went down there and see that it is actually a *Whirlpool* (which I think now manufactures Maytag).

Mine is a "Stylemaster" 907675

An old maintenance man recommended it to me because the machine is belt-less. On my old washer, it seemed I had to change the belt many times.

So I'd make sure you just get the most basic model they have as such models tend to be simple and trouble free...and if it's belt-less I'm sure it will be very similar to the one I have.

Reply to
philo

As I said previously, we replaced our front loader GE with a top loader. Never said the top loader was a new GE. I was a little concerned that we really hated the GE TL and then we bought another GE. But the sales guy (not a big box store) convinced us to buy the one that had an old fashioned agitator. He said it will still use less water than the older TL models but he thought, after listening to our rants about the FL, this was a good fit. Many of the newer models (GE included) have just a dimple on the bottom of the tub and are sort of a front loader flipped up. These models take control of things like water, etc. We are happy with the GE TL and it's built in the US.

Reply to
Art Todesco

That's why I gave a caveat about my Maytag. It was a little out of whack last year, thumping but cured itself. When I looked at the internet I was not too pleased as what I saw with the innards. Mine may be fine but point is that what may have been a top of the line brand 5 years ago starts living on its reputation as cheaper parts are put in. Happens with all appliances and cars for that matter.

Reply to
Frank

A 1988 Maytag would have been built in Newton Iowa. A modern maytag is built south of the border.

Not that I'm saying the newer one would be worse, just different.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'm happy with our Maytag that is now about 9 months old.

No matter what you buy, I have a suggestion. Maytag offered an additional 5 years of warranty for $100. I took it. I've never been one to buy expended warranty, but all new machines are much more complex than older machines.

You see what the cost of a service call is. Sure, it is a crap shoot, but there is a good change tha tin six years I'll have something go bad and need service so I'll come out again.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good advice. Our new Maytag not only has bell and whistles, but has horns and lights. Scary to think of the things that can break.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Like the evaporator fan in our 5 yr old Maytag refrigerator that gave up the ghost? Cost $250 for a fan motor the size of a biscuit. Major rip-off.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Don't go to a lot of trouble - just trying to avoid any more "new improved" units.

Thanks, philo. If I can get a belt version with no transmission, I'll take two! LOL! I'm finding that retro is definitely the way to go.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Yeah, some of them cost $1000 and have all sorts of electronic controls

sheesh all it has to do is add water and agitate for a while...

Reply to
philo

I responded but didn't see my post go by so here goes, ....again:

From exprerience Maytag 'used to be' good. but alas have gone the way of marketeers controlling what you get, very 'thin' construction. I once tried to get a transmission replacement for an older unit that actually had a gentle cycle my wife loved. No, not available, because they went to the combined tub rotation and paddle movement that beat and scratched the clothes to death. Ok, so how much to get the old transmission? "No." I said how much? "No." I said pretend I'm a rich Sheik, how much to start your line for one? $1 million? $2 million? "No. won't do it." Also, for several weeks I couldn't even reach anyone there, until I gave the zip code 90210 [my brilliant wife's suggestion!], and then got a call back instantly from the President, who was the one who gave me all those, "No's". I'm still steamed at Maytag! [used to have relatives who worked there, too].

This is an incredible product: Speed Queen AWN412. 3.3 cu. ft. White Top Load Washer Number1Direct 888 768 1710 9-5:30

The thing is built like a battleship! ergonomic, easy load and remove, AND all mechanical dial so you 'control' what it's doing, including NOT emptying your water out if you restart in order to get a bit of extra wash time, like ALL the new machines now do.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Frank wrote in news:lumvpm$9a0$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That's why I just bought a new OLD car. 96 Mitsubishi 3000GT. 37K miles. Original everything with just a couple of scratches. Looks like it came from the showroom. Fully loaded. One owner. Woman who turned it in was 69 years old. Had to go to Wisconsin to check out. Had it shipped by itself in an enclosed moving van. Sweet.

Reply to
Red Green