What's a good top-loading washer?

Page 1 of 2
I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.
For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).
There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).
I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.
For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).
There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).
I like my LG.
On 9/8/2014 4:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

I like our Maytag Centennial but it is only maybe 3 years old so who knows what might develop.
On 09/08/2014 03:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

I bought a Maytag in 1988 and it still works perfectly and has never needed any repair or maintenance.
It's one of those "no frills" units. I seriously doubt if anyone needs all those bells and whistles.
I paid about $400 for it and see that Home Depot has them at about the same price.
On 9/8/2014 7:08 PM, philo wrote:

Good advice. Our new Maytag not only has bell and whistles, but has horns and lights. Scary to think of the things that can break.

New Maytags are junk. Junked last one after extended warranty expired because it had so many major repairs...that's right, it was like 3-5 yrs.
Bought a Speed Queen commercial top loader. Same machine as many laundromats only without the coin box. No user electronic controls. No electronic display at all. Mechanical dials with only basic settings. Been working flawless and cleans better than that stupid microprocessing, water saving, eco-fucking POS Maytag.
Won't find at appliance chains. Go to local appliance store/repair business. Pricing is not low because it has no bells and whistles but you don't want to buy bells & whistles. You want to buy a machine that cleans and does not need an organ transplant 6-12 months. Bells & whistles money is put into, yes, the machine and it's purpose - to wash. What a concept.
On 9/8/2014 8:07 PM, Red Green wrote:

That's why I gave a caveat about my Maytag. It was a little out of whack last year, thumping but cured itself. When I looked at the internet I was not too pleased as what I saw with the innards. Mine may be fine but point is that what may have been a top of the line brand 5 years ago starts living on its reputation as cheaper parts are put in. Happens with all appliances and cars for that matter.

That's why I just bought a new OLD car. 96 Mitsubishi 3000GT. 37K miles. Original everything with just a couple of scratches. Looks like it came from the showroom. Fully loaded. One owner. Woman who turned it in was 69 years old. Had to go to Wisconsin to check out. Had it shipped by itself in an enclosed moving van. Sweet.
Excellent topic, RG -- so I switched the subject....

miles.

came

69

itself

Sounds great! I have a 1990 Eclipse, known as 1G. Don't know anything about later models, but you might want to have a competent technician pull the computer out and check the circuit board. If the capacitors are made by Rubicon (like 1990) they are famous for leaking and also are not rated for the proper temp -- should be replaced with different brand and a higher temperature rating. I'm emphasizing the computer because it's a quick check and could save a lot of hassle later if the car has intermittent problems. Another problem I found with the computer is that if there is any moisture, like from high humidy condensing inside the car, that's another killer for the computer. Dealers charge $100 and up to diagnosis but they still can't pinpoint it to a computer problem. Cost for dealer computer for 1990 was $700 parts only. Long winded... but I wish someone had told me all this when I was bumfuzzled....
For anyone with a car computer problem, you can typically find someone in the local area who rebuilds them for $100-200. I found a rebulit one from some parts house - Rock Auto probably -- for $250 -- but they only patched up the old problems and did not replace the Rubicon capacitors....
OK, everyone can wake up now. LOL!!!
20 years ago, I had to decide who's washing machines to buy because I needed three pair of coin operated washers and dryers.
Just about everyone I talked to said that Maytag top loading washers were the easiest to fix. When I looked at one, I was amazed at how much room there was under the tub...everything was easily accessible.
At the time, I also saw Speed Queen, which is the Canadian version of Amana, and it had plenty of space and good accessibility too, but no one I talked to really knew much about them.
I ended up buying Maytag, and their machines have stood up well for me. I don't know if Red Green had a top loading washer or not, but if so, I expect his experience with Maytag wasn't typical. I don't know if Maytag still makes their top loading washers anymore.
I know nothing about front loading washers.
Why not just phone up the places listed under Appliance, Major - Repair in your yellow pages, and find out which top loading washer the repairmen think is be best built and easiest to fix?
--
nestork

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 13:33:15 -0700, Guv Bob

From exprerience Maytag 'used to be' good. but alas have gone the way of marketeers controlling what you get, very 'thin' construction. I once tried to get a transmission replacement for an older unit that actually had a gentle cycle my wife loved. No, not available, because they went to the combined tub rotation and paddle movement that beat and scratched the clothes to death. Ok, so how much to get the old transmission? "No." I said how much? "No." I said pretend I'm a rich Sheik, how much to start your line for one? $1 million? $2 million? "No. won't do it." Also, for several weeks I couldn't even reach anyone there, until I gave the zip code 90210 [my brilliant wife's suggestion!], and then got a call back instantly from the President, who was the one who gave me all those, "No's". I'm still steamed at Maytag! [used to have relatives who worked there, too].
This is an incredible product: Speed Queen AWN412. 3.3 cu. ft. White Top Load Washer Number1Direct 888 768 1710 9-5:30
The thing is built like a battleship! ergonomic, easy load and remove, AND all mechanical dial so you 'control' what it's doing, including NOT emptying your water out if you restart in order to get a bit of extra wash time, like ALL the new machines now do.

water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.

($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).

installation).

Thanks Philo. Do you know if the current model is like yours? Don't go to a lot of trouble - just trying to avoid any more "new improved" units.
On 09/08/2014 09:21 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

LOL so much for my memory.
I decided that maybe I should have a look at my machine. I went down there and see that it is actually a *Whirlpool* (which I think now manufactures Maytag).
Mine is a "Stylemaster" 907675
An old maintenance man recommended it to me because the machine is belt-less. On my old washer, it seemed I had to change the belt many times.
So I'd make sure you just get the most basic model they have as such models tend to be simple and trouble free...and if it's belt-less I'm sure it will be very similar to the one I have.
I pulled out the machine today (GE WHRE5550K1WW) expecting to see water, which I did, but also found oil. Same color and smell as the same as with my previous GE washer - the one with the leaking transmission seal. (This oil was not the cause of the sour smell, by the way....) I don't know exactly how old this one is, but I have a note that I called GE in 2006, so that probably makes this one 2005.
For the repair, the choice is have the reliable indept tech out ($80) or unknown GE tech ($100). If I call GE but don't have it repaired, they will give us a $100 rebate toward a new washer. If the fix is a new transmission, I'm guessing that would be more than the old one was ($250 plus installation).
There's also a good chance that it needs a new pump ($75 plus installation).
*******
Thanks for all the great info!! Keep 'em coming! Will use this crappy box of bolts for a week or so until I can check around. It's a good thing I'm out of shotgun shells.
On 9/8/2014 4:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:

As I said previously, we replaced our front loader GE with a top loader. Never said the top loader was a new GE. I was a little concerned that we really hated the GE TL and then we bought another GE. But the sales guy (not a big box store) convinced us to buy the one that had an old fashioned agitator. He said it will still use less water than the older TL models but he thought, after listening to our rants about the FL, this was a good fit. Many of the newer models (GE included) have just a dimple on the bottom of the tub and are sort of a front loader flipped up. These models take control of things like water, etc. We are happy with the GE TL and it's built in the US.

A 1988 Maytag would have been built in Newton Iowa. A modern maytag is built south of the border.
Not that I'm saying the newer one would be worse, just different.
On 9/8/2014 4:33 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
I'm happy with our Maytag that is now about 9 months old.
No matter what you buy, I have a suggestion. Maytag offered an additional 5 years of warranty for $100. I took it. I've never been one to buy expended warranty, but all new machines are much more complex than older machines.
You see what the cost of a service call is. Sure, it is a crap shoot, but there is a good change tha tin six years I'll have something go bad and need service so I'll come out again.

Like the evaporator fan in our 5 yr old Maytag refrigerator that gave up the ghost? Cost $250 for a fan motor the size of a biscuit. Major rip-off.
nb

never

needs

the

Don't go to a lot of trouble - just trying to avoid any more "new improved" units.

times.

Thanks, philo. If I can get a belt version with no transmission, I'll take two! LOL! I'm finding that retro is definitely the way to go.
On 09/09/2014 11:08 AM, Guv Bob wrote:

Yeah, some of them cost $1000 and have all sorts of electronic controls
sheesh all it has to do is add water and agitate for a while...