What paint to use for patio furniture?

I have some metal framed patio chairs I am refurbishing. Question - what kind of paint is durable enough to use on them? I've used various spray paints before, but they tend to be soft and scratch and wear easily. what kind of paint can give a nice hard finish, like they were orginally painted with?
Zootal wrote:

i'd try epoxy appliance paint. note that it takes a while to fully harden. read the label about recoat times too.
On 6/6/2011 4:34 PM, chaniarts wrote:

Rustoleum (the brush-on kind), priming any bare metal first. Tractor paint is usually pretty durable as well. Can you borrow a bin-fed non-handheld sandblaster from somebody? See recent thread on blasting media- patio furniture is the type of stuff I would use play sand to clean. Whatever old paint is left probably has rust under it, as do any tight joints.
--
aem sends...

On 06/06/2011 07:50 PM, aemeijers wrote:

rustoleum is WAY soft. I would recommend POR-15. or maybe Hammerite.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 6/6/2011 8:49 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

Well, if cost is no object it- strip it degrease it, and get a baked-on finish or powder coat from a shop that does hot rod frames. If OP lives anywhere with marinas, there is also a coating used for docks and trailers and boat ladders and such, that is almost like a plastic dip.
--
aem sends...

If you strip off all of the paint to bare metal, you can use Hammerite. Tough stuff, easy to repair and no primer needed on iron.

I painted (after cleaning and preparing) a 2 person metal glider on our deck about 6 years ago with brush on Rustoleum. Left in open all this time. Starting to get some sun fade. Will recoat soon. WW

If it is high quality furniture you want to last a long time, strip all the paint and have them powder coated. It will probably cost $75 to $100 a chair, but will last many years.
On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:30:41 -0500, Zootal

I don't know about its use for outside, and it only comes in a few colors, but I've used Epoxee or Expoxy paint on my washing machine, and it looked and felt like it was painted at the factory. And it matched the rest of the machine (this was white) Lasted 7 years until the machine itself broke beyond repair. Indoors of course and no one ever banged on it.
Zootal wrote the following:

furniture (12 pages). http://rustoleum.com/CBGProductFinder.asp?pfm=RST&bsq=2&bid=5
--

Bill