What material use to insulate sound between floors? Rental unit

Our renters have their bedroom in the basement, right underneath the first floor kitchen (bungalow house). The noise from the kitchen is fairly loud in the mornings. Just wondering what material can I use to reduce the noise from the ceiling. I want a solution that would not be too expensive. What about putting the pink insulation between the joist and then a drop ceiling. Would that cut down on the noise level or would the difference not be significant? I suspect some of the noise travels through the heating ducts, but I imagine there is no easy solution to that.
Btw: we have an un finished ceiling just in that room, with exposes joists. I was thinking that a drop ceiling would leave air space between the two floors. Sound travels through the joist, but with a drop ceiling, it is mostly supported with a wire, so there would be very little sound travel though joist. has anyone found this solution to be helpful?
Take a look at:
http://www.soundproofing.org /
In general you want to block air exchange. Air caries sound very well. (Try opening your car's window as a train is going by.)
Next you want weight. Heavy things (drywall lead sheets etc.) block sound well.
You also want to prevent any direct solid connections. Stagger wall studs or use special isolation devices to keep the sound from traveling through the wall (remember the two cans on a string (well wire actually worked) you want to break the wire).
Filling in wall cavities with sound absorption materials (acoustical fiberglass bats) will do a little, but don't expect much and expect even less from standard fiberglass insulation.
Point source control (special absorb material) at the source of the sound will also help.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

through
joists.
Do you have a Menard's near you? Check out the 440 Sound Barrier.
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email