what kind of tile is best for shower

I have built a shower/steam room and it is ready for tile but I am having a heck of a time deciding what to use. I know I want natural stone tile and I like some limestome tiles for the fossils inside but I am concerned that limestone is not durable enough for a shower wall. Usually I see marble for this type of installation. (granite, I am not particularly interested in).

Is it allright to use limestone or travertine (filled) for showers or should I focus on Marble. Of course anything I use will be sealed with appropriate products.

Also has anybody put a honed surface tile on a shower wall. Should I stay with polished surface to make it easier to clean or does it really matter after sealing.

Reply to
PipeDown

Doesn't using a calcium-base rock mean that you can't use more than half the tub-cleaning products in the world? And what's the PH of your water supply?

Reply to
Goedjn

I doubt my PH is very far from neutral in either direction. However, if etching were the only concern, a honed or brushed tile surface would be preferred as the etching would not be noticeable but a polished surface still may be protected by the proper sealant (anyone know for sure?)

Good point though, probably couldn't use just any old cleaner but that is true of many things. At least with porcelain, you can use just about anything.

Anybody with specific experience with any kind of stone tile in a shower. comments welcome.

Reply to
PipeDown

Limestone, marble and travertine are all made of the same thing - calcium carbonate - so limestone should be as durable as the others.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I would go for a nearly impermeable surface. Fossil limestones can be quite porous, meaning they retain water after the shower, and lead to mold, algae, and mildew. Fossil Marble can be quite good, if it is dense and smooth like a typical marble. Honed is always going to harbor more dirt than a polished surface. I would also avoid porous limestones such as travertine, for the same reasons. The easiest natural tiles to clean and maintain are those that don't *need* sealers, such as polished marble (more dense and impervious than limestone), polished granite, and other hard stones. My personal favorite is high quality glazed ceramic tile, which is harder than natural marble, and comes in a huge variety of colors and patterns.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Limestone, travertine and marble are different names for the same thing .... sort of like champagne and sparkling wine.

If you intend to use the shower (not just look at it) select a polished and sealed stone. ... then use the appropriate cleaning products.

Reply to
MikeP