What kind of outlet is this?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/filmteknik/misc/outlet.jpg
Let's see now.
A vertical small prong (hot) and sideways large prong (neutral) would signify 120V / 20A. On the receptacle the sideways opening gets a vertical aspect for a combined T shape so it can accept a common 120V / 15A plug as well.
On the other hand the small opening being sideways while the large is vertical signifys a 208-240V / 20A outlet and the receptacle's vertical side is also given a horizontal aspect for a combined T shape so it can accept the rather rare 208-240V / 15A plug with two flat prongs sideways.
The outlet shown is obviously to some ancient standard. Looks like it will accept anything...except a ground pin. LOL.

outlets. These were used before the days of polarized outlets and plugs so the plug could be inserted either way. I am not sure but I think the in-line slots may have been too short to accept the 240V plugs.
Don Young

The Wiki labels it as a NEMA type 2 socket, no longer allowed.
Is that all? I was hoping for something exotic like DC!

Use your test leads to satisfy your curiosity about the voltage and throw the receptacle away. It will accept a non polarized 120vac plug but doesn't look very reliable.
Bill
The picture is too dark for my monitor to show. However, my gut sense, it's a very very old 110 volt household power outlet.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.