What kind of nailer do I need?

I'm going to install new baseboards and ceiling molding throughout my house. What kind of pneumatic nailer do I need to look for? I see finishing, brad, staplers, etc. Thanks!

tM

Reply to
themeanies

As already mentioned- a finish nailer would serve you well. Finish nailers come in both 15 gauge and 16 gauge. The 15 gauge is more heavy duty and comes with an angled body. The 16 gauge shoots a thinner nail with a bottom rail that is square to the nosepiece. Depending on the thickness of your stock, type of stock (mdf vs. hardwood) and/or budget will determine whether you can get away with a 16 ga. or need to lay out the extra $ for the 15. Personally I started out with an 18 ga. brad nailer for tacking together furniture pieces while the glue dries and for the occasional very light moulding application. I recently bought a 15 ga. for installing door and window casing and baseboards during the remodeling of our house. If you're doing things like heavy crown mouldings you may want to go with the 15 ga. You don't want things falling down from the ceiling area. Renting may be an option too if you don't plan on using the pneumatic gun in the future. Do as much prep as you can so that when you rent the tool you are ready to just start shooting nails and can have it out for the least amount of time. Hope this helps

Dale

themeanies wrote:

Reply to
dale martin

Go with a 15 gauge and you won't be sorry. I did as Dale did but found some of the 18ga brads popped on walls that had an inward bow. You sound like the sort of guy who does this kind of thing easily (home care) so why not make the one time investment and go with a purchase. Considering what you are saving on having someone else do it, the gun will be free - actually, it will be paying you!! Sell the wife base on that logic but be prepared for "the look" - LOL!!

Reply to
C & M