What kind of key is this????

My Mom found a key today that my Dad was hiding behind a picture. He died many years back, so I have no idea what it goes to and I was hoping that someone could help me. I have the picture posted at my website:

Thanks, GeekChick

Reply to
GeekChick

Looks very much like a key to a bathroom or other interior door. He probably kept it here so you wouldn't take it when you were a kid and locked yourself in the bathroom or your bedroom occasionally.

Reply to
salty

It could be a key to change the combination on a lock, or maybe it is a key for thos 'keyed' light switches.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

According to :

Yeah, looks _very_ much like the "key" people use to unlatch interior door locks on bathrooms for when the door is accidentally locked from the wrong side, or the kid locks themselves in. These days people usually use screwdrivers or roasting skewers.

[Or at least, I do ;-)]

The other thing it's location suggests is that it might be a key for something they didn't want you getting into - like a very old/primitive/not-very-secure lock on a gun or money box or something like that.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Possibly a Nigerian safety deposit box :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Looks like the key to a cheap metal storage box like this:

Maybe that's his box on ebay? ;-)

BTW the bathroom door keys that I have are more like nails with just the end filed flat. In fact, I've made a few out of nails and a grinder. The keyhole is round and wouldn't accept a flat key like the one in your picture. In addition, I think your's is too short to be a door key.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A friend of mine and his wife once bought a dresser at an antique auction, and when they turned it flat to load it into their pickup, they heard something rattling around inside. When they got home, they pulled out the drawers and found a metal cash box with about $7,000.00 in it. Perhaps the OP should start poking around the house...

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It's not really a "security" lock, it's a "privacy" lock. The lock on a bathroom door is just to prevent folks from barging in without knocking.

I lived in a house where the bathroom door knob had a round hole and the key that came with it was a flat key stamped out of metal similar to the one in her picture. Your ebay cash box clearly uses a skeleton key. :^)

Reply to
salty

on 11/8/2007 11:09 AM GeekChick said the following:

Looks like a cheap jewelry box key. Just enough of a lock to keep the kids out of it.

Reply to
willshak

I'm not sure where I implied it was a security lock...but thanks for that information anyway.

The "like this" referred to the cheap metal box, not the lock. I have a cheap metal box at home that has (had) a key like the one pictured.

Was the flat key to your bathroom less than 2" long? Just seems a tad short to be a door key, IME.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did he fool around at all?

It might have been the key to a girlfriend's apartment, and maybe your mom hid it there so that he'd get no new key.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Common style that was used on chastity belts. Looks like the master key.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That looks very similar to, though not identical to, the gizmo I got with my Taylor weather instruments to adjust the mechanisms precisely.

Reply to
clifto

It's the key to my heart.

Reply to