What kind if gas is used in BIC lighters?

What kind if gas is used in BIC lighters?
It cant be propane, because they will not light if they get really cold from being in my car.
I can light a propane torch in the cold, but not these damn lighters... I usually have to hold them in my bare hands for at least 5 min. before they light. Brand dont matter. Whether they are BIC, or some cheap generic ones, they just will not light in the cold. You'd think some one would have made lighters INTENDED for cold weather by now....
I dont know if those old Zippo lighters will work in the cold, I stopped using them 40 years ago, after that fluid leaked out in my pocket and left a nasty "chemical burn" on my leg.
On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 9:19:50 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Google would have told you is butane.
On 3/2/2015 10:35 PM, bob_villa wrote:

asks in here.
Children don't even ask as many questions as he does.

Wow.
My irony meter just caught fire, burned a hole in the floor and was last seen heading toward China.
--
Dan Espen

On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 21:19:42 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

aWhich is why I have always wonderd at people who include them in emergency kits.
I have seen several lists of survival kits including them. Totally useless in the cold.
Harry K
On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 10:48:11 AM UTC-6, Harry K wrote:

May be you have me blocked (can't imagine why?)...how long does it take to warm a small lighter in your hand or pocket?
On 3/3/2015 11:48 AM, Harry K wrote:

Unless you know to warm it up....
On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:45:26 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Na, not in our lifetimes.

On 03/03/2015 03:19 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Maybe you should just quit smoking?

anyone smoking today has a total lack of common sense.........:({({(
On 03/03/2015 05:20 AM, bob haller wrote:

The majority of smokers know it's bad but are too addicted to quit.
My wife is an ex-smoker and when we leave the grocery store we walk by the $75 a carton cigarettes and say:
"Wow, look at that, too bad we wasted our money on food."
On 3/3/2015 6:40 AM, philo wrote:

Makes more sense to go home and light dollar bills on fire, at least you're less likely to breathe them and die early.
On 03/03/2015 06:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I remember seeing this poster in a doctor's exam room. From a distance it looked like a cigarette. When you get closer, it's dimes and pennies. It's about all the money smokers spend on the habit.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 03/03/2015 05:40 AM, philo wrote:

But they weren't addicted when they STARTED. I never understood why anyone would. When I was young, I knew nothing of the health problems. Smoking still stinks, and there's the fire hazard.
BTW, my grandfather chewed tobacco. My grandmother complained about it, but at least he wasn't spitting it out in people's faces. That'd make it more like smoking.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 3/3/2015 6:20 AM, bob haller wrote:

Smoking killed Leonard Nimoy at an early age. Also killed my father, and other folks I'm sure.
On 3/2/2015 10:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I was a kid. Might been a regional thing. Yes, the boiling point is about 32F for butane, so cold is a real issue.
Propane has boiling point about -40F, which is less issue in most parts of the world.
I've found that yellow Mapp tanks are useless in the cold. One time at a repair job, had to use the hot water in the bathroom to warm my Mapp tank to get it to work.
On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 9:19:50 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

How many seconds does it take to warm in your hand?

Read the packageing likely says BUTANE. Which may be way it's called a BUTANE lighter.