What kills weeds but not cats?

I have a lot of clover and crabgrass in my lawn but hesitate to use nasty chemicals because I let my two cats into my backyard and don't want them to get hurt. I'm going away for a week, so the cats won't be going out. Is there anything I can apply before I go that will do in the bad plants and be gone by the time I let the cats out again?

I read about RoundUp in the Poison Ivy thread and that seems perfect except for it killing the grass that I'd prefer to keep. I don't want to come back to a brown dirt garden.

Perhaps next spring I'll spray the whole lawn with RoundUp and plant grass a few days later? My lawn really is being overtaken by clover. I've tried lime; the ground has a lot of clay.

Suggestions are welcome.

Reply to
dgk

Read the stuff that comes with triple strike and see if one week would after application would be OK with cats. And if you have a lot of clay, mix in lots of potting soil before you plant your new grass.

Reply to
scott21230

If you are considering chemical control, I suggest pre-emergence for the crabgrass. Much less toxic and more effective than the stuff you would need now.

As for clover, it is your friend. It is just trying to tell you that you don't have enough nitrogen in your soil. Clover will not compete with a healthy lawn having a good level of nitrogen. In fact clover is helping since it makes more nitrogen than it uses and adds that to the soil. I suggest a slow release organic source of nitrogen. Have a soil test, work on improving that then test again. There really is no good reason to try and kill crabgrass and clover until you have the soil problems corrected.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Triplestrike seems to kill the grass also. I'm trying to avoid that. For now I just want to kill the weeds.

Reply to
dgk

Ok, soil test it is.

Reply to
dgk

First, the triple strike will kill your grass too, so stay away from that.

Clover is one of the more difficult weeds to kill. Triclopyr is effective, though it will likely take two applications. Usually clover isn't a problem, unless there is a lot of it.

As for the crabgrass, Acclaim is very effective. The younger the plants, the easier it is to whack.

Personally, I would probably wait a week and then till a good rain before I let the pets out on it.

If the lawn is a real wreck and you are considering reseeding, then it's probably not worth the $$ and effort at this point. Don't wait to reseed in Spring. Late summer, early Fall, Sept for much of NA is optimum. You can kill the existing vegetation with Roundup and reseed a week or two later.

Reply to
trader4

Excuse me, but why would any sane person reach for "agent orange" to nuke clover? Clover fixes nitrogen in the soil, besides producing attractive flowers. Disregard ads for "the perfect lawn" and you're both healthier and wealthier. Break out the green spray dye when putting the place on the market.

barry

Because they were told to, by the central brain.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Cat urine.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

... and why would any sane person want to spare the cats?

Reply to
CJT

While I agree that some scattered clover can be fine, there are situations where there is so much in spots it becomes undesirable. In that case, I see nothing wrong with people who want to get rid of it. Or how about families where someone is highly allergic to bee stings and would like to have a lawn they can enjoy without attracting bees? Are they insane?

Reply to
trader4

Your cats will likely encounter worse than Roundup if allowed to run - attacks by other animals, disease, automobiles, etc.

Clover is easy to eliminate with broadleaf weed killer - can apply with hose end sprayer. Apply when growing actively and not when lawn grass is stressed.

Crabgrass is a lot more difficult - digging out, as tough as that is, is one good way. Pre-emergents work on crabgrass, but timing (PREemergent) is critical. It also requires care in appl, as it is not enviro-friendly.

Reply to
Norminn

I don't mind some clover, but an entire clover lawn is not what I have in mind. Clearly there is something wrong with the conditions if clover is replacing the grass. I think that I'll work towards fixing that problem and hopefully the lawn resume some balance.

Reply to
dgk

Yes, I know. That's why I fenced in the yard so they can't get out. Best of both worlds.

I do pull out the crabgrass and it isn't a large yard so that is possible. Except that it's getting a bit out of hand.

Reply to
dgk

You have a lid on the back yard, prison exercise yard style? I haven't met a non-elderly cat yet, that can't climb a fence when motivated. Not trying to start an argument, just curious.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers