What is wrong with this shower diverter?

I have an Eljer shower faucet. When the water comes out at the bottom into the tub all is great. When I turn the diverter to the shower I get half water from the shower but still get the other half out the bottom.
When the diverter is set for the tub output the washer in the stem is pushing up against the seat - so that part is working fine. The washer is good and the seat is in good condition.
I took out the diverter stem and when the water is coming out of the shower the end of the stem is just copper on copper. There must be some missing part - a fitted washer I guess? Does anyone know or have a picture of what the diverter stem should look like? Thanks.
On 24 Feb 2007 19:25:46 -0800, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You can probably look at one at a store.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I replaced my old diverter after measuring an 8% flow out of the bottom and replaced the new one with a quarter-turn valve after measuring a 6% flow out of the bottom.
Nick
On Feb 25, 3:13 am, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

Those Chinamen don't always assemble things correctly.

This thing was probably made in the late 50's. I doubt any chinamen were working on Eljer shower faucets back then anyway.