What is wrong with Store Clerks?

Page 2 of 3
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 6:23:38 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

e not very large, but still nice bags in that they will attach to the cart sides and stand up and stay open. If you are interested in these you can b uy them at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for the same price as advertised on TV and m ostly likely they can be purchased at Target and Walgreen's. If you have a BB&B $5 off coupon even better.
There is another version of these called Cart Helper bags that are about 4- 5 times larger and attach to the cart and will stay open. I've been using a set for about 10 years. Great product! I unload them onto the grocery c onveyor belt and the bagger puts them back in after ringing up. It has cut down on those annoying plastic bags tremendously
On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:06:43 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

Yeah, that's what I meant. But if they're not very large, that may be a big problem. Thanks for the warning.

It would be a lot easier to judge the size in person, than holding my groceries up to the TV screen. Thanks.

I'll look for those. Thanks a third time.

The dollar stores around here DO NOT have a recycle bin for bags or anything else. In fact this one (where I had the problem) dont even have a trash barrel outside. If I get too many bags and use a shopping cart, I toss all the extra bags in the cart.
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 2:33:44 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

He said grocery stores...

...and that probably accounts for all the ones I see hanging in the trees, that have blown out of your friggin' cart!
bob_villa wrote:

Yup, another form of littering(polluting), LOL!

policy the items must be bagged in certain ways. After items were placed in the bags, they can not be reused.
As Bob said, buy your self some diapers.
On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 18:06:48 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Why the government. It's not law. It's store poicy.

Sure they can. But they don't fit on the dispenser racks so most clerks will throw away the ones that they started to use.

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 7:55:51 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

I'm not aware that there are any govt regulations concerning what gets bagged with what either. The only govt regulations in this regard that I've seen are the few places that ban plastic bags.

Apparently he's saying it's store policy not to reused a bag. I can understand not reusing one that's left the store, but not reusing one that's been on the register counter the whole time is pretty dumb. If clerks in my store were throwing away bags just because they aren't on the rack, I'd end that fast. Multiple bags wind up coming off all the time, by either customer or bagger. I see that all the time here, but I don't see anyone throwing them out either.
Overall, I think he has a valid point. The number of bags used could be reduced by more careful bagging. Here, I don't see any strict rules like his store has. They do always put eggs and fresh meat in a separate bag. Also, things like detergent or motor oil would never be put with food. Other than that, not sure there are any rules here. I do notice some like to double bag the heavy items or limit how much they put in one bag. But those plastic bags around here are pretty tough. I've rarely had one even start to rip open, and never had one where it split and stuff fell out.
One big supermarket here was trying to limit the use of bags. They sold fabric, reusable ones for just $1 and gave you a few cents discount for each reusable bag that you used each time. After a couple years, they ended it, saying it had been very successful. That part I doubt. I rarely see anyone using them. They do have a bag recycling spot to return the plastic ones right at the store entrance. I have a big pile here, waiting to go. Problem is, I never can remember to put them in the car.....
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 6:55:51 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

They gave you bags? Wow. That is unheard of around here.
On 4/6/2015 5:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

So you berated a minimum wage clerk for following store policy. Hope you are proud of yourself.
While I don't agree with the policy completely, I'd put the blame where it belongs. Not do I want the clerk to use the bags you may have contaminated.
On 4/6/2015 7:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

A troll who is proud of hogging a newsgroup with his moronic issues for the sake of attention is just as proud of berating a minimum wage employee for doing what she's supposed to do for the same sake of receiving attention.
On 4/6/2015 5:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

You were the guy complaining about spilling a quart of oil on your pants but don't mind mixing it with your food ;)

What I spilled on my pants was in a drain pan. The quart at the store was SEALED. If it was leaking, it would have leaked on the shelf before I picked it up.
On 4/7/2015 3:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Still could leak if turned on its side like being jousted about in the trunk of your car. I've seen it happen and that's why clerks package it separately.
On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 7:29:54 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:12:42 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

This is true, and I have never seen a plastic quart of oil leak in all my years. Those old cardboard oil cans of years ago, were more likely to leak. Sure ANYTHING is possible. The world could explode today too, but people tend to over react.
I should also mention that on numerous occasions, I have told the clerks at this store to NOT put one liter bottles of soda in a bag, and NOT bag the toilet paper. More than once I have had those crappy bags rip open from the heavy soda bottles. Even double bagged, they still rip. And there is no reason the Tp needs to be bagged. But even after I ASK them to NOT beg the stuff, they still do. As a customer, I have the right to hsve my purchases bagged the way I want them. I find it easier to carry the soda by gripping the bottle, and that is my right.
I shuld note that since I live on a farm, thee is no garbage pickup. I have to burn paper and plastic, and drive 16 miles (both ways) to get rid of cans and bottles. The less trash I bring home, the less I have to burn, and burning plastic bags are not something I want to breathe.
There is another local convenience store with one particular clerk who I have regularly gotten upset with. I walk up to the counter with a HOT sandwich and a COLD can of soda. I intend to eat/drink this as soon as I get to my car. She tosses both in a bag. EVEN AFTER I CLEARLY SAY "NO BAG". So, the sandwich against the cold soda gets cold and the soda gets warm. First off, there is absolutely no reason to need a bag for two items, and it's obvious this is something I intend to eat NOW. If, after I say "NO BAG", she bags it, I immediately take it out of the bag, and leave the bag on the counter.
Clerks should be REQUIRED to ASK if we want a bag, especially for small purchases.
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 3:42:53 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

The clerk did WHAT SHE WAS TOLD TO DO. You are a complainer. Smarten up. I managed grocery stores for years.
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 7:44:16 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:

ally think of how wasteful they can be.
I was at one of Dollar Stores a few months ago and I bought a can or two of soup and a box fabric-safe bleach. She was going to put these items in tw o separate bags and I told her put those 3 items in one bag. She seem surp rised and asked if I really wanted them in one bag and I said yes. She was n't thinking is all I can surmise; how can a box of fabric-safe bleach harm /contaminate two metal cans of soup?
I've used reusable fabric grocery bags for years and am starting to use the smaller reusable cloth bags for those quick trips to Wal Mart and these 'd ollar' stores.
It's not the clerks - it's company policy!
Are you going to blame our sodiers for invading Iraq 12 years ago - or Cheney & Rumsfeld?