What is wrong with Store Clerks?

Page 1 of 3
I went to a Dollar Store and bought the following:
1 box of crackers 2 candy bars 1 quart of motor oil 1 pack of 4 AA batteries 1 one liter bottle of soda 1 pack of cold cuts 2 average cans of canned soup 1 package of beef jerky 1 small plastic jar of peanut butter 1 small glass jar of pickles 1 four pack of toilet paper
I easily walked up to the counter with all of this in my hands, except the soda which was under my arm.
I checked out, paid under $20 for this stuff. I ended up with SEVEN of those crappy plastic store bags.
It was packed this way.
1 bag just for the motor oil 2 bags (doubled) for the bottle of soda 1 bag for the toilet paper 1 bag just for the cold cuts 1 bag for only the pickles 1 bag for everything else
I asked the clerk why she could not put it all in one bag. She said oil cant be put with food, soda needs a double bag because of it's weight, glass jars cant be put with other stuff, anything from the cooler (cold cuts) must be bagged separately, and the toilet paper was too big to put in the same bag as other stuff.
I could see the clerk was pissed, as I emptied all the bags on the counter. I put everything in one bag, except the toilet paper and the soda. I told her that the soda is easier to carry without a bag, and the toilet paper already HAS a bag since it's sealed in plastic.
I left the store ONE bag, plus the toilet paper and soda un-bagged. Before leaving, I handed her the unneeded six bags and told her to reuse them. Instead, she tossed them in the garbage.
Then we wonder why we create so much garbage..... and why we're told we must recycle.
I was really pissed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc. I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which it was)......
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 4:42:53 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

In this instance you were the PITA, and the cause of being wasteful. There's no reason you can't have 3 plastic bags in each hand...did you get yourself some diapers?
bob_villa:
So you support stores' bagging policy, even if it wastes resesources.
Well I bring my OWN bags to the super market, and I bag them myself - HEAVY. So there!
On 04/06/2015 04:49 PM, bob_villa wrote:

I agree.
There is no way I'd have motor oil in the same bag with food, etc
Forgot to mention:
Most of the time I go to the store I bring my own bags from home to keep the waste to a minimum. Some stores even give me a credit for the bags .
philo wrote: "- show quoted text -
There is no way I'd have motor oil in the same bag with food,"
Wimpy 21s century. Just tro' my stuff in the bags so I can put them in my car and drive home. IZZAT too much to ask? \:-o

I like the way they pack. The only thing I do require separate packing are spray jugs with hazardous soaps and cleaners, which can leak, or even sealed clorox jugs.
Greg

Why? It's in a can and the food items were either in cans or packaged.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

During the manufacturing process a small amount of oil is usually left on the can. True, the amount of oil that would get on the already wrapped food is probably zero but...?
As mentioned, I'm sure the clerk was simply following regulations.
The cost of the bags is close to zero and they can be recycled at many grocery stores.
I bring my own bags most of the time and when they get dirty just use them as garbage bags, so the waste from my house is extremely small...less than half what most of my neighbors throw out.

I'm not very good about bags, but the words "throw out" reminded me that I'm very good about food. I hear these numbers about the average home wasting 100 dollars of food a year, or more. In most years, I waste less than 5 dollars of food a year.
And I've never lost any food during a power failure, because things stay cold if you don't open the freezer much, and I eat whatever is getting too warm.
Milk lasts usually two weeks beyond its expiriation day, and even if I leave it out all night, I still have four days to drink it. If I leave it out 2 separate nights, I only have about 5 hours, but that's usually enough to drink all that's in the bottle.
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:45:40 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Are these your recommendations...or is this listed somewhere that I could verify? Have you ever had food poisoning or gastric distress...had to go to the hospital because you wouldn't throw out spoiled food stuffs?
On 4/8/2015 10:58 AM, bob_villa wrote:

States can decide what the expiration date is. I recently saw a listing and it can vary as much as a week from the date the bottle is filled. I've had some dairy products a month after the expiration with no problem. I'm talking about yogurt and sour cream as well as heavy cream made into something.
I've had canned soup a year after the date on the can. There is a lot of information available about food dating. It does not suddenlyh go bad at midnight ont he date stamped on the package.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/19/health/sell-by-dates-waste-food/ But according to the new analysis, words like "use by" and "sell by" are used so inconsistently that they contribute to widespread misinterpretation — and waste — by consumers. More than 90% of Americans throw out food prematurely, and 40% of the U.S. food supply is tossed--unused--every year because of food dating.
Eggs, for example, can be consumed three to five weeks after purchase, even though the "use by" date is much earlier. A box of mac-and-cheese stamped with a "use by" date of March 2013 can still be enjoyed on March 2014, most likely with no noticeable changes in quality.
I LIKE the plastic grocery bags. rather than take them back to the store for recycling. I take them for reuse!
this store takes in stuff for free and resells it cheap, like goodwill does. they have a sign we need bags. so occasionally i take them a 30 gallon trash bag of grocery bags.
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 7:04:50 AM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:

philo wrote:

I have dozen or so reusable cloth bags in my car always. There is not much to buy at dollar store any how.

On 2015-04-06 7:31 PM, philo wrote:

While I agree that this sort of hissy fit is a worse problem in society than plastic bags, I want to inquire: why not motor oil on your food? I have eaten many a meal with motor oil/brake fluid/gasoline/etc. soaked hands and never had a problem.

That's fine for you (or me) but no good for the civilians.
--
Dan Espen

On 4/6/2015 5:49 PM, bob_villa wrote:

They probably have a great big recycling bin for bags; at least, grocery stores have them. If you bring your own bag, then YOU won't be wasting bags and you have fewer to carry. I keep mine, with my umbrella, in a door pocket so I can grab them on my way into the store.
It's been a long time since I had a gripe about any store clerk; local businesses here, whether chain or not, seem to have customer service as #1 priority...they offer to help as soon as yer in the door. Only exceptions I've noticed are Sears and KMart, and they seem to be worried about paying the light bill...rarely find a clerk free to assist, although they are really nice when one is located. Their stores are dark and depressing. Local Kroger is not one of the biggest, but sure know how to manage...day before blizzard or on NY Eve, every cart was in use, but the shelves were stocked and there were no long lines. I mention to the clerks how much I like the store and appreciate their help. I suspect that when it comes to bagging groceries, there are plenty of griped...don't squash the bread, keep the pie right-side-up, don't make that bag so heavy....

AT my store, it's not big at all. 18" x 18", with an opening that's 12" in diameter. A pain.

A problem would be that the ones they sell seem too small, and not knowing how many to bring in with me, since I never know in advance how much groceries I will buy.
They have advertised on tv some bigger ones, that stand up on their own, but right now my home-replaced rear window is letting all the rain into my trunk. Maybe after I fix that.