What is wrong with plumbers?

Page 1 of 3

Please tell me if I am missing something.
A few years ago I hired a plumber to remove and install a new faucet. He worked on it for about ten minutes and then told me that he needed to go to the store for a part. He never came back. I hadn't paid him. He wouldn't answer his phone until I used a neighbors with a different caller ID. The plumber simply told me that he didn't want to do the job. I was without a kitchen sink for a couple of days until I got a different plumber. This one was resonable and did good work. I ahd him do other work and recommended him to others. Sorry he retired. Now I want to replace a toilet. Lowes subcontracted a plumber and he showed up several days later. He worked for a few minutes and then told me he had to leave to get a valve. Guess what! He failed to come back. Never answered the phone until the next day when Lowes called him. He told them I had dry rot in the floor and he could not finish the job because of that. Not sure how he could claim that, as he had not removed any tiling or gone down to the basement. I did and found no evidence of 'dry rot'. My question is; why do these guys do this? They are getting no money from me, they are just causing me inconvience.
I think that sort or scenario happens most often when a price is given for a pretty standard job, like replacing a fixture, then when the contractor begins work, he discovers other issues that may complicate the job and cost him more than he bargained for.

RBM wrote:

In other words, they choose not to honor their contract.

Correct, they choose not to honor their agreement, because to do so would cost them money. Not every contractor can calculate, estimate, and articulate what they will do and for what price, and I think this scenario occurs often under those circumstances. I'm not trying to legitimize it, just my theory on why it happens

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 14:57:21 -0500, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

It's not a contract until they actually take your money. Until then, it's just an offer. And anytime some worker looks at a job he's supposed to do for me and decides he's in over his head, I'd PREFER that he backs out and tells me rather than goes ahead and screws it up.
Goedjn wrote in message ...

would
scenario
it,
Well, yeah, but telling one that you're not going to do it is one thing, and running out for something on the pretense that you're coming back, and don't, is quite another. Shows no class.
Cheri

I agree. It's just plain rudeness and childish behavior, like someone not showing up for a job interview or business appointment. Difficult customer or not, it's also a cowardly way to get out of doing a job. It would be much better for everyone all around if they just said, "I don't want to work for you".
Beachcomber
Beachcomber wrote:

And word should spread, so they go out of business.
Goedjn wrote:

Wow. You hear some weird stuff in here.
And anytime some

See if it improves by Monday. There's still a lot of cocktail activity going on. It was obvious on the roads this morning. Damn...

You wrote, "It's not a contract until they actually take your money. Until then, it's just an offer."
Actually that is not exactly true... One can form a contract without payment immediately conveyed. A CONTRACT - An agreement between two or more competent parties in which an offer is made and accepted, and each party benefits. The agreement can be formal, informal, written, oral or just plain understood. Some contracts are required to be in writing in order to be enforced. (2) An agreement between two or more parties which creates obligations to do or not do the specific things that are the subject of that agreement. Examples of a contract are a lease, a promissory note, or a rental agreement.
This term, in its more extensive sense, includes every description of agreement, or obligation, whereby one party becomes bound to another to pay a sum of money, or to do or omit to do a certain act; or, a contract is an act which contains a perfect obligation. In its more confined sense, it is an agreement between two or more persons, concerning something to be, done, whereby both parties are hound to each other, or one is bound to the other. Blackstone defines it to be an agreement, upon a sufficient consideration, to do or not to do a particular thing. A contract has also been defined to be a compact between two or more persons.
Contracts are divided into express or implied. An express contract is one where the terms of the agreement are openly uttered and avowed at the time of making, as to pay a stated price for certain goods.
Express contracts are of three sorts: 1. By parol, or in writing, as contradistinguished from specialties. 2. By specialty or under seal. 3. Of record.
A parol contract is defined to be a bargain or voluntary agreement made, either orally or in writing not under seal, upon a good consideration, between two or more persons capable of contracting, to do a lawful act or to omit to do something, the performance whereof is not enjoined by law.
RBM wrote:

Especially when it is a subcontract from a big box store. The person may be getting $30 for the job so it is simpler to walk away.

My guess is that they realized they were unqualified to do the job, but embarrassed to tell you that face to face. So, they vanished. If you can't get the name of a good plumber from a friend, or from someone at work, open the yellow pages and find a plumbing COMPANY - one that has several plumbers on its staff. That should (hopefully) lower your chances of having an amateur arrive to do the work.
Of course, it's also possible that YOU are the problem.
- Is your house filthy? - Do you chatter to repair people endlessly about stuff they have no interest in, like your kids and grandchildren and your dog that just died blah blah blah?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote in message ...

died
None of the above, but I've certainly had plumbers and repair people yakking away at me. It drives me crazy. :-)
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

Consider the opposite: The ones that just grunt.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Can we say "plumber's crack"? ;-)
--
Keith

Didn't you know? CRACK KILLS ;-)

Why do guys do this? It's an instinct. You just know that the job isn't going to go the way it's supposed to and you are never going to satisfy the customer. What better time is there to leave than in the beginning of the job?
Bill
talking a lot about previous troubles and sueing a previous plumber would no doubt cause troubles.
filthy home a real turn off...
asmoking stinky cigars might do it for a non smoker
a cat when your allergic
when you find a GOOD plumber etc stick with them even if they arent the cheapest price.
the lowest price often comes with a bad job:(
They have butt cracks.