what is viable shelf life for latex paint ?

the paint specs if it makes a difference is ...
Behr latex semi-gloss Behr latex satin Behr latex bright white gloss trim paint ace flat ceiling paint
1, 2 ... 5 ... 7 ? years :} tia robb
robb wrote:

how long is a piece of rope. it depends upon so many factors that no one can tell.
for example, if it freezes next week, the answer would be: one week.
chaniarts wrote:

with partial cans that I found in basement, of several interior colors that had to be at least 7-8 years old, based on the rust and spider webs on the cans. Stirred up and went on well, dried to normal sheen with no problem. Stored inside in a semi-dry basement that never freezes, but seldom gets above 60 degrees, even in the hot part of summer.
Like the others (and previous threads) have said, biggest variable is how well can is sealed, and what temp conditions can is stored under. I was pleasantly surprised, figuring I would have to buy more, and thinking I would use the paint can lid as the sample for matching. -- aem sends...
On 2/19/2010 6:35 PM, robb wrote:

No good answer. Depends on storage conditions and container. Cans often corrode through and leak or contaminate paint. I find best to store less than quart quantities in old Mason jars as glass is stabler than metal.

as long as its a full can with no air and it doesnt freeze, until the can rusts through.
On 2/19/2010 4:44 PM ransley spake thus:

True that. I've used latex paint 15 years old that worked like it was fresh. But I've seen frozen paint less than a year old that isn't good at all.

- a Usenet "apology"

The trick would be to put the paint in smaller new containers, but none of it will fully match even a year later, paint ages on walls and trim, dark colors lighten, some whites yellow and dust and cooking take a toll. I mixed alot of important new colors out in plastic peanut butter, mayonaise jars , anything that seals tight and wont break, and yes ive picked up cans and had the paint fall out from a rusty can
On 2/20/2010 5:09 AM ransley spake thus:

Bullshit.
I've used paint over 15 years old, stored very sloppily in a basement, to touch up a wall in a friend's living room. The spots I touched up are impossible to see.
Like others and I have said, it all depends.

- a Usenet "apology"

Bullshit? you must be blind and dumb, paint on walls ages, no paint can match after 15 years, unless your a complete hack without any sence of color
On 2/22/2010 5:29 AM ransley spake thus:

Well, if I'm blind and dumb, then I guess my friends (the homeowners), their relatives and all their friends are as well. Everyone who's looked at that living room has not been able to see the places where it was touched up *at all*.
But then I guess you know better than the rest of us.

- a Usenet "apology"

I think so.

It all depends on the color and the exposure. I've had some neutral colors that did not have a lot of exposure to sunlight still match reasonably well many years later.
A few of those 99c bottles of hobby paint at places like michaels are a good way to tint paint to match again for touchup.
I've used ten year old paint to touch up spots and it's invisible even up close.
My painter told me to store paint cans upside-down, that way any skin that develops is at the bottom and not the top.
Be very, very sure you've put the lid on securely. I usually store it upside-down in a large bucket for a week to ensure it's not leaking.
Shaun Eli www.BrainChampagne.com
Copyright 2010 by Shaun Eli. All rights reserved.

I have used paint stored for over 25 years. If stored properly it will last.

plastic cans. I was trying to decide what cans to take to the 2-day paint recycle event
considering the responses ... I suppose it was a clever marketing attempt to generate more paint sales ?
robb