What is UNDER flagstones on concrete? How do you keep the tops level? (Pictures)

When I cut concrete, I just propped the hose up between a couple of blocks to flood the area I was cutting. I have a wet saw for this sort of work, though. It needs a new motor, though. :-(

I see, though be careful that the edges don't overhang. Even then, they'll likely crack and pieces splinter off over time.

Where is it coming from?

Reply to
krw

Hard to tell from the photo, is it the footer for the wall? ______________

It doesn't, necessarily. If hosing and brushing does the job, fine; if not, HCl. What you want is for the old concrete surface to be clean enough for the mortar you will use to lay the stone to bond well to it.

Reply to
dadiOH

The water is coming from the little fish pond behind the concrete wall. I never noticed the seepage until now. I wonder if my digging disturbed something.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

I don't know what a 'footer' is; but it was almost certainly built when the wall was built so it must be what I'd call the 'foundation' for the wall.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

You should be able to get some rubber/vinly paint sort of stuff they use on pools. Maybe even a vinyl liner for the pond.

Reply to
krw

I was thinking of patching it up with 'hydraulic cement' but if painting it with special paint works - that's what I'll do.

Only later. I haven't had a chance to work on it since Monday unfortunately - so there's no progress to report.

The bags of mortar & concrete are getting wet by the day being outside in the dew so I'd better hurry.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

If you have a crack big enough to put the cement into, do that first. If they're tiny cracks (likely) then hydraulic cement won't help.

Put a tarp over them or put them in garbage bags.

Reply to
krw

Status Update:

I've cut all but the final middle keystone.

Tomorrow I put the mortar down.

I have two questions about that - but I'll open a separate thread for each since it's not the original topic of this thread.

Here's a picture as I closed up shop just after the sun set tonight:

Chuck Banshee

UPDATE: It took way longer than I thought it would ... but here is the cut flagstone laid out (except for the one middle stone) ... ready for mortar tomorrow.

Left half:

Right half:
I'm going to try to bring the whole step up about two inches ... so it will be a challenge to see if the mortar dries before I finish the job.

:)

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

Chuck, I'm no expert on this but is it safe to build up mortar 2" thick? Is this going to be outside with freezing temps? I was wondering if it's better to use some kind of cement that can be about

1 to 1.5 inches thick and then place these stones on top of it with mortar. I realize if I'm correct, this is more work and cost but I'm concerned about the longevity / durability of your stones and mortar. Well just a thought and I may be wrong of course.
Reply to
Doug

I don't know either! (I've never done any of this before.)

I 'assume' mortar is as strong as concrete (which is basically mortar plus aggregate if I understand it correctly). Does the aggregate give strength or does it just give it bulk for cost reasons?

As for freezing, it 'can' get to freezing out here - but rarely does. We get a dusting of snow, for example, once every few years. Generally it drops to freezing about 5 times a year, and always at night only. By morning it's warmed up and melted.

One reason I need depth is the stones vary in thickness, even though I tried (I really tried hard) to keep the thickness variation down to a minimum.

Another reason I 'want' depth is that there is the high spot at the left- most side that is a ledge about two inches above the rest of the step. I don't have to meet the two evenly. I 'could' have a small 1-inch step.

The problem is hard to describe so here's a picture of the small ledge that has two flagstones in it. I was planning on bringing up all 20 flagstones to that same level to eliminate the ledge.

So that's why I need the extra couple of inches.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

I have no idea how deeply the footer goes into the ground.

For better or worse, I've already set the first two stones to the upper level (which previously existed, at a 90degree right angle to the shelf that I am tiling):

My dilemma now is whether to raise the entire 20 tiles along the shelf ... or ... to have a small 2" rise for the first two stones.

That question brings up a point I had not mentioned prior.

Since I had dug down to the footer (which was 2 inches under the existing lawn), I now have the problem of the lawn being two inches higher than the shelf (if I don't raise the shelf).

As much as I hate the thought of building a form and pouring a thin (maybe less than 2") layer of concrete BEFORE adding the thick mortar to accommodate the varying thickness sandstone ... it's looking like I have to add a base to raise the tiles.

Drat.

Reply to
Chuck Banshee

For better or worse, here's the final result, set in concrete & mortar:

Chuck Banshee

I picked up a small cultivator from Lowes today. I will use that to dig up the lawn because it's currently HIGHER than the level of the sandstone shelf.

Here's the curing process ...

Chuck Banshee

:)

Reply to