What is this white scratchy stuff on the sides and bottom of my pool?

Page 2 of 4
On 5/6/2012 3:38 AM, Arklin K. wrote:

Sure. The calcium that's in the water probably came from the plaster. You have to maintain the calcium level to keep it from damaging the plaster and other things too.

I don't know how to clean it. I've never done that. Looks interesting.
On Sun, 06 May 2012 08:21:52 -0700, Oren wrote:

The filter has a ton of green scum on it (from the swamp) so it's hard to tell. It's slimy stuff. Almost like a thin lime-green paste.

Thanks! I'm reading it now!
On Sun, 06 May 2012 13:15:47 -0500, inspections wrote:

Here's a better picture of the coating, I just took today:

The white part by the upper tile is soft and smooth. The white part by the lower plaster is rough and sandpapery.
I can't tell what the white stuff is. If it's calcium, I've read that acid washing isn't really for that (acid washing is to remove a thin layer of plaster for refinishing or painting).
Also, the blue splotches are confusing me. I can't tell if the white is covering the blue or if the blue has flaked off revealing white.
Can someone look at these pictures and give me advice as to what's happening with the blue paint?

On 5/6/2012 3:41 PM, Arklin K. wrote:

You know it's hard to tell but I'd guess it's (the blue stuff) dead algae that is imbedded in the plaster. If it is, it's impossible to get out without removing the plaster. It's hard to say because the previous owners could have done (or not done) so many things.

I don't think draining in-ground pools is a good idea. Something about them popping up.
Refill it, turn on the filter.
Don't worry about a little crap on the sides of the pool. It's outside, it gets all kinds of crap in it all summer long.
--
Dan Espen

On 5/5/2012 8:56 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

It depends on the water table in your area. You don't dare drain your pool in Florida. Here, no problem. But you're right, he should know the level of the water table prior to draining.
On Sat, 05 May 2012 21:24:30 -0500, gonjah wrote:

I don't know the level of the water table but out here our wells are all in the hundreds of feet range (like 500 feet deep) so if 'that' is any indication, then the water table is deeper than the pool.
On 5/6/2012 12:04 AM, Arklin K. wrote:

I'd like to say don't worry about it but I don't want to be responsible.
On Sun, 06 May 2012 00:17:27 -0500, gonjah wrote:

One thing I found about water lifting the pool out of the ground like a boat was there is something called "hydrostatic plugs".
What would a hydrostatic plug look like so I can open them up?
Here's the pool - would the hydrostatic plugs be in here somewhere?

Still can't figure out why you are draining the pool. Fill it, turn on the filter. You're done.
--
Dan Espen

On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:10:15 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

It was a green swamp!

I shocked it with $150 in chemicals and ran the two pumps (filter + cleaner) for days until I finally gave up and figured I'd just replace the water.
Once I drained it - I figured I'd clean it while I could for maintenance.

It shouldn't have taken $150 in chemicals. Just liquid chlorine. A few gallons and you're done.
I've dealt with green pools this way more than once. Sometimes it takes a while. If that happens, more chlorine.
How much is the water to refill the pool going to cost.
Oh well, water under the bridge.
--
Dan Espen

On 5/6/2012 9:34 AM, Dan Espen wrote:

It's hard to tell from pictures but yeah a good filter system and some chemicals would have fixed it right up. I
On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:34:36 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I don't know yet.
I can either fill it from the well (paying for electricity at California rates of 45 cents / KW hour) or pay someone to deliver 38K gallons.
For anyone who has had water delivered ... how much is 38K gallons anyway in cost?

I don;t know, but it's impossible that it's going to be cheaper than running a well pump. 1 hp well pump is probably around 7 amps, 240V, or 1.5kw. That's 75 cents an hour. If it pumps a typical well rate of 15GPM, that's 900GPH. I could fill my 48000 gallon pool for $40 even at your electric rate.
On Sun, 06 May 2012 14:45:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Very interesting calculation!
I think I'll fill it with the well. The main problem is the well can go dry - but I will check for that and only put in a few thousand gallons a day. I can probably get away with a thousand gallons a day so it would take a month to fill.
If I can get away with 2,000 gallons, then it will only take a few weeks to fill this up ... but I'm still siphoning the green water out as we speak! http://picturepush.com/public/8204345
On Tue, 08 May 2012 08:32:40 -0700, SMS wrote:

Just had the tap water tested at Leslies. pH 7.6 FAC 0 ppm Free Available Chlorine TAC 0 ppm Total Available Chlorine CH >200 ppm Calcium Hardness CYA 0 ppm Cyanuric Acid TA 150 ppm Total Alkalinity TDS 400 ppm Total Dissolved Solids Pho 100 ppb Phosphates
I have no access to city water testing nor to the water.
On 5/8/2012 1:59 PM, Arklin K. wrote:

You can just test the tap water
--

On Tue, 08 May 2012 14:20:48 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Hmm... the well water 'is' the tap water. :)
On 5/8/2012 3:52 PM, Arklin K. wrote:

I see. I was thinking about the cost of refilling as opposed to cleaning the mess you had. But that's sort of old news now.