What is this thing?

This probably isn't the correct place to ask this question but I figure you all have a lot of experience in very diverse areas and someone might recognize this mystery object.

Go to:

We found 11 of these in an old grain/equipment storage barn that is probably close to a hundred years old.

It measures:

9-5/16" across the top 8-9/16" across the bottom 4-3/8" on each side

The side pieces are 5/8" wide Top and bottom pieces are 3/8" wide.

The top and bottom bars are inset into a notch in the side bars and held in place with one small brad at each corner.

It's hard to tell what the wood is. Maybe pine. It's very dried out and feels almost as light as balsa wood.

Any ideas?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Damn. Sorry, the link immediately failed to work.

Please go to:

And to the folder named FUNNY. It is the first photo.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

It appears the link is bad.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't know. It seems a bit small, but looks like a bee keepers comb frame.

Reply to
DanG

Looks like a frame out of a bee hive.

Steve Barker

"DanG" wrote in news:thGzh.95452$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.lga:

HA! That's my guess, too, but it IS small. Made me wonder if maybe it was a child's project. (4H maybe?) How big are comb frames, do you know? These appear to be unused since there doesn't seem to be wax residue in the wood and they would reuse them, wouldn't they?

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"Steve Barker" wrote in news:wd-dne8yQMBHrFLYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oh, cool. Great link. Those look slightly different but the size seems right. Those frames have a backing piece so maybe these frames weren't completed yet?

I need a beekeeper. :)

Thanks, gentlemen!

Reply to
FragileWarrior

FragileWarrior completed yet?

Now I've read further (I was so excited to see the first two posts say BEES I stopped reading to post), it mentions the wood frames:

"The old-style wood frames consists of a top bar, a bottom bar, and two end bars. The wood frame contains a sheet of either beeswax or plastic foundation, embossed with a honeycomb cell pattern. This pattern provides a base for the worker bees to build the wax cells out from the foundation."

By George, I think we've got it.

Thanks again.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

They were smaller before the super's as we know them today.

Steve Barker

"Steve Barker" wrote in news:SvednQo2sMjrqFLYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

OH, GREAT site! There might have been a log gum not too far from where the frames were found. I'm going to have to go back and look at it again now I've seen the log gums on that page.

(Lordy, look at me throwing around the bee words now!) :)

Thx thx thx.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

You're quite welcome. My grandfather kept bees and IF I EVER GET THIS DAMN HOUSE DONE, I plan to get into beekeeping also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

"Steve Barker" wrote in news:1bmdnbab64q7oVLYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Oh, that's really great. I always wanted to try it but then I found out that I was allergic to bee stings. I'd think it would be a fascinating hobby. And a tasty one, too.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On Feb 11, 10:00 am, FragileWarrior > DAMN HOUSE DONE, I plan to get into beekeeping also.

Very tasty when the MEAD is ready to drink! Anybody have a giant stainless pot for sale cheap? Dean

Reply to
Dean

"Dean" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

I really like mead, too. Perhaps I should take up THAT end of the hobby.

Reply to
FragileWarrior