What is this thin-wall plastic tube?

In my garage, from some past project, I found some thin-wall white (probably PVC) plastic tube. About the same diameter and a little less thickness as 1/2" copper pipe, but plastic.

It was way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe. So thin that it's somewhat transluscent.

What is this stuff called and what is it supposed to be used for?

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Sounds like something that might be used in conjunction with a swimming pool or fish tank. I assume you're not in the habit of syphoning your gas out of the neighbors cars ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

Oh, no, I use flexible tubing to avoid visiting the gas station :-).

The pipe I'm asking about is not flexible.

It also has a strange pot-metal or maybe aluminum fitting attached at one end, looks like it is barbed to take another piece of tubing.

Some form of irrigation tubing? Can't be from my yard, no irrigation system there, I just wonder what it's called because I want some lightweight tubing for a different project of mine and this stuff would be ideal.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Uh, if you need some lightweight tubing for a project, why don't you use what you found in the garage? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Could be PEX, but the description sound too "lightweight".

Reply to
Noozer

Electrical conduit of sorts? Hard to tell for sure. Are there any markings on it? In any case, if your new project does not involve liquids or pressure, why would you care?

\\//.

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 252041 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

I thought PEX, but OP states it is not flexible.

-- Oren

Oren

sounds like the stuff they used to hook up my RO filter

Reply to
jmagerl

Sounds sort of like some stuff I had to feed a flat 300 ohm TV line through a wall once. Flange on one end, fixed to tube. Drill hole to fit. Put movable flange on other end, retain with screw. Cut tube to length.

Reply to
professorpaul

Easy to tell that it's definitely not electrical conduit: "way way way thinner wall than schedule 40 PVC pipe".

Reply to
Doug Miller

Tim Shoppa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

Everybody else is guessing so what the heck.

From your past project or just appeared? Got central vac? Don't they run some kind of plastic pipe in new construction, suck some string through then pull wires? Really a WAG.

Reply to
Red Green

My guess is it is a no-pressure drain pipe as used for condensation.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it's 1 1/4' or 1 1/2" diameter it is Delrin drain pipe for lavatory or kitchen sink. Used in place of chrome plated brass usually. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Oops, missed the OP part about 1/2" diameter. Still think it's a Delrin molding, though.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

on 11/2/2007 6:42 PM Red Green said the following:

My central vac tubing is 1-3/4" grey plastic. The wires don't go through it. They are taped along the outside of the tube. You don't want anything in the tube to catch debris and get clogged. I installed the central vac myself, when the house was framed and plumbed, but not rocked yet.

Reply to
willshak

Uh, how about, oh I dunno... a picture? What with today's silicone chips and such...

Sounds like it might be cold water dip tube for a water heater.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

:

Wonderful - another web site that takes a newsgroup and reposts it as if they were providing it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F