What is this stuff?

I was walking around the out side house the other day doing an inventory of what needs to be done this spring. I noticed that some of the facia (sp?) "board" looked rotted. I pulled down a piece of the rotted part and discovered that it looked like pressed paper. The part that is not rotted is about 3/8 inch thick, and has a grain pattern embossed on it.
What is this crap?
I'm going to have to take my gutters down now to get this crap off, then put real wood in it's place.
It is pressed paper....just kiding.....but sadly close to it. That is not usually used for Facia...neither is plywood.
Good luck...sorry to hear of your problem.
Terry

of
"What is this crap?" You got it... it's crap. Replace it. My neighbor is replacing his with that vinyl "wood" that is out.
Dave Solly wrote:

Dave Solly wrote:

It's pressed paper. http://babyurl.com/D7z6a0
I think the technical term is "fiberboard".

Seems like proper maintenance would give this stuff longer life, but it breaks down quickly if it isn't painted. The modern composite materials available to the industry today probably hold up much better: http://babyurl.com/H1yQh7
PS. It's "fascia". :)
Dave Solly wrote:

The recommendation when we had ours repaired was to use MDF, which I guess is the deluxe version of particle board. The rec was to prime and paint all 6 sides before installing it, then caulk and paint again. The damaged sections looked like what you describe, which had not been properly maintained for years they had gaps at the seams, allowing moisture to damage structural members and warp the ends/corners of the fascia. One of those simple to fix things that can cause major expense when neglected.

of
it sounds like "masonite" usually was used for siding NOT fascia.

good man use real wood instead of "all" the other crap that is being sold today at Home Cheapo and Lowthes.